• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Keeping A. borelli and A. trifasciata

JK91

5 Year Member
Hey everyone,

After a break of keeping Apistogramma, I started again by keeping a pair of one of the easier species; A. borelli.

They are living peacefully and doing very fine in my Pantanal habitat. Lately I've been thinking about adding a trio of A. trifasciata, but the thing holding me back is that I don't want any of my fish stressed out because of (territorial) aggression.

I know A. trifasciata males can be hard on their females, but what about being aggressive towards other Apisto species? Would they live peacefully or would there be fights? I know it's hard to predict, but I'm sure you guys have a better idea of how things will turn out than I do.

The tank is 120x40x50 or 47x15x19 in inches. It's not a breeding tank. Other fish include Otocinclus sp., Hyphessobrycon elachys, Serrapinnus kriegi, Corydoras hastatus and Hyphessobrycon vilmae. Attached a recent photo of the tank.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSC_0045-01.jpeg
    DSC_0045-01.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 370

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Based on the size and decor of your tank you probably should be OK. Still I personally wouldn't do it. Polygamous trifasciatas are much more aggressive than A. borellii. My question is why, if this isn't intended for breeding, do you put a breeding trio in it?? If I wanted to add another dwarf cichlid to this tank I'd add a couple of male Laetacara dorsigera (also from the same region).

JK91

5 Year Member
Based on the size and decor of your tank you probably should be OK. Still I personally wouldn't do it. Polygamous trifasciatas are much more aggressive than A. borellii. My question is why, if this isn't intended for breeding, do you put a breeding trio in it?? If I wanted to add another dwarf cichlid to this tank I'd add a couple of male Laetacara dorsigera (also from the same region).

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply. I want to add A. trifasciata because I think they're great-looking. That and because I lack the number of tanks to keep multiple species.

I actually had a pair of L. dorsigera, but they pushed my A. borelli around with their constant breeding.

If you suggest L. dorsigera instead of A. trifasciata, I'll stray myself of adding a trio of A. trifasciata. I don't want my tank to turn into a warzone.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Everyone here know my mantra: a community tank is not a breeding tank. Your problem with L. dorsigera was that you had a breeding pair. Expect the same behavior from A. trifasciata.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….