• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male or Female sp. D39???

miguelgr7

5 Year Member
Hello everyone, I want to tell you that they sold me 2 males and 2 females Apistogramma sp. D39, they were young when I received them, now they are already a good size but unfortunately one of the "females" was killed by one of the big males, now only I have 2 males and a supposed female who is creating doubts every day that I see her because I see him as an inferior male, it is the first time I have them and I don't know if he is male or female, someone who has experience with them could help and say if it is male or female? I hope it is the right thing because if it is not I will feel very upset because I do not like to be fooled, I will not accept that.....I wait for your comments and help.

Attachments

• DSC_6830.jpg
    DSC_6830.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 414
  • DSC_6842.jpg
    DSC_6842.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 396
  • DSC_6845.jpg
    DSC_6845.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 380
  • DSC_6846.jpg
    DSC_6846.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 372
  • DSC_6848.jpg
    DSC_6848.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 403
  • DSC_6855.jpg
    DSC_6855.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 367
  • DSC_6857.jpg
    DSC_6857.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 387
  • DSC_6858.jpg
    DSC_6858.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 374
  • DSC_6886.jpg
    DSC_6886.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 468
  • DSC_6890.jpg
    DSC_6890.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 397
  • DSC_6893.jpg
    DSC_6893.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 522

Tom C

5 Year Member
I'm sorry, but I don't see any females ...
I've never seen a caudal fin with rows of spots, or with extended tips, in any female A. sp. "D39".
This is a female in one of my tanks:
resizeimage.aspx

miguelgr7

5 Year Member
I'm sorry, but I don't see any females ...
I've never seen a caudal fin with rows of spots, or with extended tips, in any female A. sp. "D39".
This is a female in one of my tanks:
resizeimage.aspx
Thanks ton for your prompt response, this something I suspected, many tell me that the D39 are very rare and difficult with the identification of females, I think this time the seller sold me something wrong

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
Thanks ton for your prompt response, this something I suspected, many tell me that the D39 are very rare and difficult with the identification of females, I think this time the seller sold me something wrong

Do you have any photos of them when they were young? Did they look like two pairs when you received them? As you know Apistogramma can be difficult to sex at an early age, and you cannot accuse the seller of lying without proper cause, in my opinion. It is unfortunate but not out of the ordinary I am afraid. I too have been sent two males and it is certainly not fun, especially spending much money on shipping and rare fish! I am sorry it happened to you.

allentwnguy

Ditto on the young age sexing. I had that problem with my first apistos. In fact my avatar pic is them. I bought 2 pair and got 3 males and one female. Luckily these two paired up. He killed (drove out of the tank) one male and confined the other to a sunken flower pot! She had several spawns in the 50+ range. They are gone now but I have a lot of the grands and great grands, to the point I can't get rid of them!

It sounds like it has been a while since you purchased them. Have you tried to get another female or two? I went through this with my sp. tefes and was lucky enough to spot an offer of 9 juvies at a really nice price. After quarantine I added them to the others and have had small broods from 3 of the females. Don't give up on them!

miguelgr7

5 Year Member
Do you have any photos of them when they were young? Did they look like two pairs when you received them? As you know Apistogramma can be difficult to sex at an early age, and you cannot accuse the seller of lying without proper cause, in my opinion. It is unfortunate but not out of the ordinary I am afraid. I too have been sent two males and it is certainly not fun, especially spending much money on shipping and rare fish! I am sorry it happened to you.
When they arrived they looked like females but they already developed characteristics of males and when consulting with experts we could already know that they actually sold me 4 males, I was deceived by the seller who told me they were pairs and I thought he was a person who knew a lot about Apistogramas, the photos of them when they arrived are in my facebook page with my name Miguel Apistos Guevara

miguelgr7

5 Year Member
Ditto on the young age sexing. I had that problem with my first apistos. In fact my avatar pic is them. I bought 2 pair and got 3 males and one female. Luckily these two paired up. He killed (drove out of the tank) one male and confined the other to a sunken flower pot! She had several spawns in the 50+ range. They are gone now but I have a lot of the grands and great grands, to the point I can't get rid of them!

It sounds like it has been a while since you purchased them. Have you tried to get another female or two? I went through this with my sp. tefes and was lucky enough to spot an offer of 9 juvies at a really nice price. After quarantine I added them to the others and have had small broods from 3 of the females. Don't give up on them!
Unfortunately, now I have 3 males because one of them was killed by the alpha male, currently there are no available females in the entire USA, it is very unfortunate that sellers cheat people for making money

Drayden Farci

5 Year Member
When they arrived they looked like females...I was deceived by the seller who told me they were pairs and I thought he was a person who knew a lot about Apistogramas

In my opinion, if they looked like females when they arrived, it is difficult to say that the supplier deliberately deceived you. I am sorry they did not work out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….