• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Does anyone know what is going on with my Apistos? I can’t find anything on google...

Brian

I have something going on in my tank and I can't nail it down... Here is a link to the images of the two Apistos: [**https://imgur.com/gallery/M6mP8bg**](https://imgur.com/gallery/M6mP8bg)

Around April 18th, I noticed the male wasn't looking so great and I hit the tank with API General Cure. On the 20th, I hit the tank with round two of general cure and on the 21st the male died. On the 22nd I did a 50% water change. On the 27th, my water parameters were: pH 7.4 - Ammonia 1PPM - Nitite 0 PPM - Nitrate about 5PPM. I added Ammonia Detoxifier.

Today I noticed the female showing similar characteristics to when the male was sick - staying out in plain site, lethargic, not eating, gaunt...

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas. The other tankmates, ember tetras, zebra danio, corys, platy and neon tetra are all fine and show no signs. The plants in the tank are all alright as well...

gerald

5 Year Member
I cant see the photos on imgur. But Mycobacterium or Camallanus are my first two wild guesses.
Please delete your duplicate posts.

Jordan

I agree with Gerald,
I can’t see the images either but from your descriptions it sounds like something I went through a while back, this came from feeding bloodworms, since I’ve stopped feeding bloodworms it has not happened again.

Brian

I agree with Gerald,
I can’t see the images either but from your descriptions it sounds like something I went through a while back, this came from feeding bloodworms, since I’ve stopped feeding bloodworms it has not happened again.
I did feed them bloodworms. Here is the picture. Is this similar to what happened to your fish?

820B97E6-2DF7-4713-8D40-47211D2FB92D.png

Brian

I agree with Gerald,
I did feed them bloodworms.
Hi all,
It is difficult to tell from the camera angle, but assuming the vent in the male <"was as swollen as it looks">? That suggests <"Camallanus worms">.

You need to treat any remaining fish with <"Levamisole">, because it is highly contagious with fish to fish transmission.

cheers Darrel
Thanks. Is this something I can get off amazon or at a local fish store?

Daneland

Jordan

I agree with Gerald,
I did feed them bloodworms. Here is the picture. Is this similar to what happened to your fish?

View attachment 8374

That definitely looks like camallanus, I havnt had any luck with treating an Apisto with a case that developed, but if you wish to try levamisole is how you would go about it :)

P.s I would stop feeding bloodworms too and move to brine shrimp.

Brian

I agree with Gerald,
I agree with Gerald,

That definitely looks like camallanus, I havnt had any luck with treating an Apisto with a case that developed, but if you wish to try levamisole is how you would go about it :)

P.s I would stop feeding bloodworms too and move to brine shrimp.

Thanks. Since this is the second apistos I am going to lose, should I worry about the other tankmates?

Jordan

Thanks. Since this is the second apistos I am going to lose, should I worry about the other tankmates?
If it is the callamanus works causing their deaths, yes I would worry about the other tank mates :) I would run a course if levamisole if I was you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….