• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cory and Apistogramma?

Dan89

I'm setting up my tank Rio 125L (80x36x50cm), which will host:

- Neon/Cardinal Tetra
- A pair of Apistogramma Cacatuoides/Agassizii/Macmasteri
- Otocinclus

I would like to insert a group of Corydoras, but I have read and I have been warned that Apisto can be very aggressive towards Cory during reprodution, since they both stay in the lower part of the tank.

What is your opinion? Could I insert the Cory? withouth too much concerns?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I would like to insert a group of Corydoras, but I have read and I have been warned that Apisto can be very aggressive towards Cory during reprodution, since they both stay in the lower part of the tank. What is your opinion? Could I insert the Cory? withouth too much concerns?
Corydoras pygmaeus are fine with Apistogramma, I've not tried any of the bigger Corydoras.
Neon/Cardinal Tetra
The Tetras will pick off any Apistogramma fry, but the female may manage to damage a few of them before all the fry are gone.

I found that Black-neon Tetra (Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodii) are OK with Apistogramma cacatuoides in a heavily planted tank.

cheers Darrel

Fikret Celik

5 Year Member
Apisto can not do anything to bigger Corydoras. Bigger Corydoras can be really dangerous for Apisto. Bigger Corydoras, really dangeraus for Apisto eggs and their offspring. That's how I experienced it.

ButtNekkid

5 Year Member
I vaguely remember someone saying that he never saw apistos and cories in same place when collecting fishes from the wild.
Maybe there´s a reason why not.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
There are reports of female apistos defending their fry from larger corys by attacking their only vulnerable spot - their eyes. Yes, there are reports of apistos removing the eyes of corys. I do have corys mixed with apistos in my 'geriatric tank' and grow-out tanks, but none of these have breeding females.

Fikret Celik

5 Year Member
I also feed both Apisto and Corydoras on the mixed tank. But the observation is Corydoras natural threat to Apisto. Because they can enter everywhere. This is a problem for Apisto breeding season. That's why there is no Corydoras in my Apisto production tanks. As I said, this is my thought...

Dan89

Thank you for your opinion guys. Still can't decide whether to insert cory or not :/

In case I decide to put cory, what species should I prefer? Big or little corys?

Corydoras pygmaeus are used to swim in the central part of the tank right?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Corydoras pygmaeus are used to swim in the central part of the tank right?
They like to rest on a leaf etc in the mid water, but they will go to the bottom and swim around etc., but they aren't like Tetras.

I don't see mine all that often (I have very weedy tanks, with leaf litter etc), but if you want to bring them out some micro-worms works wonders.

cheers Darrel

chris1805

5 Year Member
I just read an article about the Apistogramma Macmasteri, that stated this one lives with Corydoras in the wild. Therefore if you wild like to combine them, i would try and search for a pair of wild caught Macmasteri or maybe a f1 or f2 pair. Sadly the article did not state which type of Corydora's so you should try to find that. Still keep in mind the warnings about combining Corydoras and Apistogrammas.

Phile

Just because they are found in the same body of water does not necessarily mean in the same biotope. Rivers and streams have fast water and slow water, riffles and holes, structure and open water. In addition, fish may occupy different locales at different times, based on whether they are feeding, resting, breeding, seeking cover from sunlight, or out and about under cover of rain and clouds. In addition, some migrate, and some don't. If you have ever fly fished for trout or salmon, you will know what I'm talking about.

HengLee

I've kept Leopard, Sterbai, Panda and Pygmy Cory with Apistogramma without any problem.

I guess if your Apisto don't breed, then you can keep your Apisto with any kind of Corydoras. But when the Apisto breed, then it'll be a problem.

By the way, don't keep the Bronze Cory as they will grow up to quite big and create higher bio-load. Also, other Cory are more beautiful than the Bronze Cory.

If you don't have intention to breed your Apisto, then I suggest you can go for smaller species of Corydoras such as Panda or Leopard which look quite beautiful.

Pygmy Corydoras is too small but they are quite unique. But I find that fish that too small don't really stand out when you compare to bigger fish.

By the way, I've lost interest with Corydoras and nowadays I keep Synodontis Petricola(from Africa - but still ok), Yoyo and Bohtia Loach with the Apisto. These 3 species are more beautiful and more interesting/active to watch as compare to Corydoras.
I bought them when they were still small and they look very beautiful and cute. Since they are schooling fish, you may need to have at least 3-4 of them.
And they become very interesting to watch as a school.

But take note that they will grow to become quite big. But I have a contingency plan. When they grow too big after a few years, I might give them away and buy the small one again.

Here are the fish that I mentioned:
http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/synodontis-petricola/

http://meethepet.com/yo-yo-loach-botia-almorhae/

http://www.loaches.com/articles/an-introduction-to-keeping-botia

http://www.aquariumfish.net/catalog_pages/sharks_eels_loaches/yoyo_loach_for_sale.htm

boofeng

Hi all, They like to rest on a leaf etc in the mid water, but they will go to the bottom and swim around etc., but they aren't like Tetras.

I don't see mine all that often (I have very weedy tanks, with leaf litter etc), but if you want to bring them out some micro-worms works wonders.

cheers Darrel
Did I read right, Darrel? Adult pygmy cories actually like to eat microworms? That's good to know because microworms are pretty easy (though smelly!) to culture.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Did I read right, Darrel? Adult pygmy cories actually like to eat microworms? That's good to know because microworms are pretty easy (though smelly!) to culture.
Yes, they really love them. When you add the microworms the Corydoras will start very animated feeding behaviour, even before the worms actually reach them.

cheers Darrel

boofeng

Hi all,Yes, they really love them. When you add the microworms the Corydoras will start very animated feeding behaviour, even before the worms actually reach them.

cheers Darrel
Cool, I'll probably get pygmies if I ever choose to keep cories with my apistos, then! :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….