• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Young Rams laying eggs...

N

Nikki D

I'm a new member, just having signed up mere minutes ago; already I have questions; so many questioins, but I think I'll just do the one for now.
My big question is... just how old do Blue Rams have to be to have a viable hatch of eggs? I bought mine two months ago and they've spawned three times already, once within a day of getting them home. Buzz and Boomer seem to be unseparable partners, where one goes in the tank, the other isn't far behind. They are still pretty small, when we got them they were about an inch long without their tail fin and are now closing in on 1 3/8 without their tail fin, they also both seem to be developing their full colours now. I've watched them lay eggs and Boomer will swim over the eggs and do his thing, but my question is, are they still too young to have a viable batch of fry? They have staked out their cave beside a large bushy plant and will actively run off anyone who goes near it when they are laying, even if the other fish is twice the size. They are former residents of my 10g with 6.8 ph, and now are in my new 33g which has the same ph and good water perameters. They also seem to eat the eggs when they turn white but none of the eggs have had any little black spots in them that indicate fry on the way. They have quite an array of neighbours, 4 platys, 8 cories, one bulldog pl*co and one otto, all of which seem to be afraid of these little guys. I'm content to be patient but they seem to work so hard and haven't had any kids yet.

Nikki

Apistt_ed

Hello Nikki,

At that age, they can have a good spawn but what tends to happen is that due to stress from tankmates, tank size, or just plain stress they will consume the eggs. I have found that the softer, more acidic the water is the easier it will be and the chances for the eggs to develope is greater. A general ph of about 6 or less and a dGh of about <6 has worked best for me. My Rams were about the same as yours. They spawned within the week I introduced them into their tank. The presence of the corydoras and the pleco can be overwhelming too. The pleco will still be quite active at nite and the troop of corys also. I have found it best to either move the armored tankmates or if best, keep a low light on like a nite light near the area where they have laid the eggs. I'd say in your 30gal, it's better than the 10 and they shouldn't get too stressed out. In time, your rams will get the hang of it. Young fish can be like a shot in the dark sometimes. As long as they are producing a spawn, of any kind fertile or not, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….