• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Yet another ID question

SwePeter

5 Year Member
I bought this as apistogramma paucisguamis. The next time I was at the store they have identified it as pulchra instead. But now I have got information that it isn't any of those. What do you think?

apisto.jpg

female2.jpg

female.jpg

Mikey

5 Year Member
I don't mean to ruin the original thread, but where do i get artemia from and can all fish eat it?

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Artemia is brine shrimp. The one in the image is adult. Most stores sell it frozen, an dit should be well rinsed before it is fed (lots of dirty water associated with frozen brine). Some stores that cater to marine hobbyists sell live adult brine. Great food, but it will nto live long in fresh water... butthe fish do not care.

SwePeter

5 Year Member
The one on the picture is actually frozen. I also breed from artemia eggs but I only use that to feed fry. They live about 1-2 hours so the fry gets some training in catching live food.

I have only got one answer on the ID question, do you all agree that this is pulchra?

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, it is A. pulchra (A224). North America was fortunate enough to have a large number of this fish come in this past year. It's not common here to say the least, but know of several importers who offered this fish all at about the same time.

Some individuals show more orange/red on the tail then others. So don't be discouraged by that feature.

Jeff

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The only other species for which it could be mistaken is A. sp. (cf. pulchra) Rio Branco. Your female, however could not be this species. It is A. pulchra (definitely not A. paucisquamis).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….