• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worms

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
MY GIRL FRIEND HAS SOME SMALL 1/2-3/4 inch long white worms swimming around in some of her Killi tanks. These things are not Planaria.They swim with a snake like motion, and are shaped like a thread. I think they eat eggs-does anyone know what they are and how to get rid of them???

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
They are a large nematode. They live on detritus, and tanks with a lot of waste will grow them well. Usually cutting back of food and cleaning really well will get then under control. If you want to medicate levamisol will kill them dead dead dead.

fishgeek

might make nice live food for some other fish too!!!!

levamisol will be available at farm stores (i think they call it tramisol in the usa) or perhaps availble fro worming birds, australian birdwormer i think is avitrol at petshops
hth
andrew

blueblue

5 Year Member
Hi apistodave,

here are two other alternatives:
1. trichofloron
2. Interpret's No. 7:
a branded medication from the UK.

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Thx you guys are great--as I live in horse country I can get stuff like that no sweat, there is a feed store on every other corner. I get Flubedazole at a store here in Sisters--kills the heck out of Hydra!

inexorable

5 Year Member
hydra

I am very curious about hydras, having seen them mentioned numerous times in online forums. I don't think I have seen hydra in my aquariums before - maybe I didn't know what I was looking at though = ) What do they look like? How big are they approximately? Do they have some color or see-thru? I think I recall reading that they are bad because they can kill fry with their stinging tentacles. Are there more problems they cause (as if that wouldn't be cause enough to not want them = )?

Dave

Zapisto

5 Year Member
Hydra is bad , very bad

here is what it look like :

hydra.jpg

i already see green ones.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Great picture of hydra! Is that your image? If it is, please let me use it for my website's section on 'bad beasts'.

inexorable

5 Year Member
hydra pic

Very kewl pic - Thank you. I was still curious about how big these things are. There is not a sense of scale in the photo. Hold a dollar bill or a coin next to it a take a photo = ) j/k

Dave

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….