• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Will this work

nativecollector

5 Year Member
I am getting a 4 month old trio of Ap. eunotus pebes, they are going to be in a temp 10 gallon set up. There is about 1-2 inches of oak leaves on the bottom with two flat rocks helping hold down the leaves. I am going to pick up three or four clay pots this afternoon. I have not check the water conditions yet but the tank has been running for three days now. I am using a used sponge filter to help cycle the tank and will probably keep that in there for thier filter until thier new home is built. I will be checking the water conditions and parameters this afternoon as well.

Will this set up be ok until thier new home is built?
What water parameters should I be trying to achieve?
What water parameters would be ok to get by with until the water gets to exactly where I need it.
What is the best food for these guys? To the best of my knowledge they are captive breed and raised.
Any other information on these guys would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Based on the strange name, my guess is that these fish are some form of A. sp. Pebas. Without seeing them or photos, I can't be certain.

Your 10 will be adequate until the fish start thinking of breeding. Then you'll need something considerably larger. Pebas males can be quite agressive at times.

Pebas is a black/clearwater species that does best in water with a pH~6 and soft, but can handle harder water as long as not extreme. If you want to successfully breed it, try using conditions similar to A. panduro. pH should not rise above 7.2.

Feed anything that they will eat. Just vary their diet. The best foods are live crustaceans & insect larvae.

The only other thing I can say is keep an eye on them. If one (or more) starts getting beat up, remove it fast.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I doubt that your supplier knows what he is selling and is using the name given to him by the importer. The fish shown on the URL is not from Pebas. It is A. cf. eunotus Orange-tail/Orangeschwanz from the lower Rio Ucayali. It is a different fish from A. sp. Pebas. If this is the fish you will receive, then it is an undemanding whitewater fish. When you get the fish compare them with pictures of the 2 species discussed and see which it is.

nativecollector

5 Year Member
My wife had just called me before I checked back here and they have arrived at the house. I will get them settled in and take some pics of them and post them later when I get home. Thanks for the help though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stripes

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….