• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild Microgeophagus ramerizi..

ste12000

5 Year Member
I love Rams.. They are a beautiful fish and im sure many people have never seen wilds in the flesh, there are so many strains available now and very few of those are a improvement on the wild fish.

Last month i imported a box of rams direct from Columbia and was pleasantly suprised by the size and beauty of these fish, they are still young adults but after settling in for six weeks and having their numbers thinned the remaining 15 or so fish have coloured up beautifully and have started spawning.. Ive always found rams to spawn much more prolifically when crowded together, this time is no exception, they seem to like to defend their own little territory and doing so certainly encourages spawning!!

Heres a young male fighting for dominance(He is not the most dominant fish in the tank)
DSCF0190.jpg

DSCF0191.jpg

DSCF0178.jpg

This is the latest pair to form, judging by behaviour they should spawn this evening.
DSCF0146.jpg

And heres a spawn from last night..
DSCF0202.jpg

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I also just got in some really nice wild rams...must be a good time of year for them! I have never worked with rams beyond bringig in large numbers and distributing them but I intended to pull a few from this latest batch and get them set up.

I find the bare bottom tank with a flower pot drip saucer and interesting spawning target! I'll have to try that. Normally I'd use a tank set up with fine sand, wood, and plants but maybe I don't need to work so hard!

Thanks for the great pictures and indirect tip!

ste12000

5 Year Member
Ive bred Rams for many years, ive done the whole biotope aquarium setup and have great sets of pictures of Rams spawning and raising fry, quite often the offspring would then be removed to bare growout tanks and at around 3-4 months of age they would start to defend the corners(Easiest place to protect in a bare tank) and spawn there directly on the silicone, obviously every batch was eaten long before freeswimming and i also could not remove the sticky eggs from the silicone, so i started adding clay pots(Actually caves for apistos once turned upside down) into the corners and the fish spawned on these allowing me to remove clutches of eggs. If space was available i could quite easily of raised several thousand rams per month breeding them this way, it was not unusual to get 4 spawns per day..

Heres a few more pics of previous spawns.

DSCF9271.jpg

DSCF6358.jpg

DSCF4163-1.jpg

DSCF4085-1.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I sometimes think that Rams would be better parents if kept more naturally. According to Dr. Staeck, Rams are colony breeders in the wild and the juveniles gather into large schools once the parents drive them from their breeding territory. It might be worth trying a group of 10-15 in a 30 long or 55 and see how it works. BTW I much prefer the body shape and more pastel colors of wide Rams; just me.

ste12000

5 Year Member
My observations back that up Mike, ive noticed that they like to defend their territory and are far more prolific when kept in large groups, almost like the behaviour of central American cichlids in a way, they choose a spawning site and have to defend it from all the surrounding fishes, mine only defend a area of around 6 inches from the spawning site, anything outside that is relatively safe from attack.

It is possible to spawn individual pairs but i do feel they enjoy protecting the area and it makes them more willing to spawn.

One other observation is that the same male has now spawned with three seperate females over the course of three days!! all in the same area next to the filter..

ste12000

5 Year Member
Update on the eggs, all hatched fine, i was suprised but there was no bad eggs at all, almost every single one hatched out with no problem.. It looks like there are going to be a few F1 rams knocking about soon!!

This picture was taken this afternoon.
DSCF0265-1.jpg

This one this evening!
DSCF0272.jpg

Racine Vice

Did you pull that saucer from the parents tank to raise those fry artificially? If yes, could you describe your method for going about this?

Scott

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….