• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild Cacatuoides spawn

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
I aquired a group of wild A Cacatuiodes and after six weeks I have two spawns going in the same tank. Lucky for me one is in the front of the tank.

DSC04465.jpg

DSC04466.jpg

DSC04469.jpg

DSC04470.jpg

The really good thing about this spawn is that it coincides with spawns in tanks where I am working on outcrossing sunburst, triple red, and white golds. It will be nice to be able to compare growth rates between the four types.

ste12000

5 Year Member
Nice pics!! your fishroom sounds much like mine, im also spawning wild Cacs and have double reds and white forms that have spawned at the same time. It will be interesting to compare results but upto now all three of my variants are growing at the same pace!
Any pics of the wild male? Mine are proving to be very interesting in their spawning habits, two days after freeswimming the female was chased away by the male and he took over complete broodcare, the female was banished to the top corner above the filter and was chased away if she approached her fry!! the only report into this kind of behaviour that i have read is from Norberti so its interesting to watch. The fry are now about 5-6 weeks old and have been removed(yesterday) because the parents have spawned again...I will be observing closely to see if the same behaviour is repeated.

Microman

5 Year Member
Hi Steve,

"Quote"
the only report into this kind of behaviour that i have read is from Norberti so its interesting to watch..

This behaviour is seen amongst many different Apistos and as we speak i have A sp Abacaxis(A228) doing the same. The males are generally not as good with their broodcare and the batch of fry usually dwindles to nothing within a few weeks but if your male has raised them for 5-6 weeks he is better than most.
Great to watch as you say....

Mark.

ste12000

5 Year Member
Yes Mark he's proved to be a very good parent..I removed the fry the other day and the roles have been reversed again and its the female in full dominant broodcare..Im really enjoying these fish at the minute...I'll have to try and visit you soon, ive not been for ages and im running out of fish to breed!!!
DSCF4818.jpg

DSCF5239.jpg

Mikey

5 Year Member
What's the secret to breeding?? I had read that these guys breed quite easily, but i have a pair in a 27g long with cardinals, and the female wants no part of the fella.

ste12000

5 Year Member
What's the secret to breeding?? I had read that these guys breed quite easily, but i have a pair in a 27g long with cardinals, and the female wants no part of the fella.

Hi Mikey, yes Cacatuoides can be easily bred but there are exceptions, most fish in my fishroom will breed with a few weeks of arriving, Apistogramma borelli are suppost to be a very easy fish to work with!! i had a mature sexed pair together for six months with no success...so called hard species such as Dicrossus Filamentosus and Taeniacara candidi were breeding in adjacent tanks!!!
Its never clear cut and there are many things that can effect breeding success, have you set the tank up to suit Apistogramma? fine substrate, caves with small entrances, plenty of cover, slow filtration?? have you given them the ideal water chemistry? soft water that has been made slightly acidic, this is less important with Cacatuoides but ideally you should try for clean, soft and acidic water..Finally with good water the only thing left is good food, most Apistogramma experts will suggest you fill the fish until bursting with live foods, i feed newly hatched baby brineshrimp daily as well as grindle, micro and whiteworm...
Microman, aka Mark Breeze will tell you...Get the water right and they will spawn....Unless its a pair of Borelli in my tanks!!!!

Csababa...Thanks mate..I try my best :wink:

chris1932

Apisto Club
Staff member
5 Year Member
Are the cardinals pestering the Apistos. I had them in with Discus and as soon as the parents would turn their backs the tetras would be eating the eggs. Try keeping only the apistos in the tank or move them into a smaller tank. They wont do their thing if they cant find each other.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….