• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild Bettas

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes. Wild Bettas. On a dwarf cichlid forum. Get over it!!!

Betta albimarginata $40/pr

Betta channoides $40/pr

Betta cf edithae von Palangkaraya $14/pr (tough to sex but I'll try my best)

Betta foerschi $25/pr (special normally $35/pr)

Betta imbellis $3 each

Betta mandor $25/pr

Betta smaragdina $16/pr (extra males available $8 each)

wethumbs

5 Year Member
What are the differences between Betta albimarginata and channoides? I have seen tank full of them before and couldnt tell the difference. I understand they are labeled as such on the available list, I am just not convince they are different species.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
What are the differences between Betta albimarginata and channoides? I have seen tank full of them before and couldnt tell the difference. I understand they are labeled as such on the available list, I am just not convince they are different species.

The biggest easily noticed difference is in the females. Channoides females take on a "panda" spot pattern when they are courting and albimarginata females have more of a fine stripe pattern. In males albimarginata has a much wider white margin on the fin edges then channoides do.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The difference in the females I have seen is that channoides has the vertical stripes and albimarginata is mottled, or even horizontally striped. The channoides males also look 'cleaner' to me, with less small black spots on their head and a brighter red than albimarginata.

But if you are doing an image search on the internet for either species you will get a mix of images. Many pics are misidentified, and a lot of websites are comparing the two species, so you get a channoides image when the text mentions albimarginata... and vice versa.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Pictures will continuee over the next few days as I have time.

Betta albimarginata

males
IMG_9536.jpg

IMG_9538.jpg

IMG_9541.jpg

females
IMG_9537.jpg

IMG_9542.jpg

IMG_9544.jpg

wethumbs

5 Year Member
Thank you all for the inputs and thanks for the pictures of the albimarginata. The pictures on the male definitely indicate of an albimarginata. It would be interesting to see what your channoides male looks like. I have read so much mis-information on the web on how to tell them apart. I even heard of someone suggestion the length of white margin on the caudal is the key. While I understand a full grown albimarginata is bigger than that of channoides and channoides has 'brighter' red and 'cleaner' color than that of albimarginata. These are just abit too vague when you dont have them comparing side by side. We all know how reliable (or unreliable) these exporters are, I wouldnt be surprised if they mix them up just to fill an order. Also, from my observation of several batches of WC albimarginata, they seem to favor the male sex more. Do you notice that as well?

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
I specified pairs on the Bettas or close to it or don't send them!

The albis came in in even pairs. The channoides are a little young to be 100%getting sure of sex in every fish. I'll get pictures of them up soon but they are not fully colored yet so don't expect to much!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….