• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild apisto ID

gratts

5 Year Member
Hi. First post here - wanted some help! :)
I picked up a wild caught apisto from the shop I work at a few days back, but I'd like a 100% ID.
It was listed on the import list as 'iniridae', but I'm fairly sure it's not.
A friend told me they are cacatuoides, so I picked up the nicest male(I'm guessing he's a male!)in an attempt to get him breeding with my triple red female.
Any help appreciated, cheers :)

Links to pictures:
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/527/apisto1.jpg
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6351/apisto2.jpg
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9126/apisto3.jpg
http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/3394/apisto4.jpg
http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/1585/apisto5.jpg

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum.

THose look like wild type Apistogramma cacatuoides to me. The black blotches, by the way, area parasite. I have seen that on wild cacs many times. THey will not hurt the fish. THe parasite needs a bird host to reproduce, so you will nto see the blotches on any offpsring the apistos produce.

Rolo

5 Year Member
THose look like wild type Apistogramma cacatuoides to me.

I agree... they are definitely A. cacatuoides.

The black blotches, by the way, area parasite. I have seen that on wild cacs many times. THey will not hurt the fish. THe parasite needs a bird host to reproduce, so you will nto see the blotches on any offpsring the apistos produce.
A parasite? Are you sure? As far as I know, it's still unknown and some people (including me) believe, that it could be a virus.
And usually you're right, that you don't see the blotches on the offspring, but that's also possible. I had this at my A. barlowi: the offspring also show these blotches. So the "bird theory" cannot be the only possibility to reproduce.
In my opinion, the "virus" theory fits better...

best regards,
Rolo

gratts

5 Year Member
Cheers guys.
I was aware that the black marking is not a genetic characteristic, which is a shame really as I quite like it.
The pictures are all of the same fish - I imagine by the fin extensions that "he" is a male?
Should I have any problems breeding him with a domesticated triple red?
If they were to breed, does anyone know what characteristics the offspring would inherit? My worry would be that it'd create a messy combination of blues, yellows and reds!
It crossed my mind that the female could be so far removed from her wild origins that they don't interact in the same. Either way I may pick up a female, as they worked out very cheap and really are beautiful fish. Much more subtle colours than the triple reds, but boy is he nice :)

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Cheers guys.
I was aware that the black marking is not a genetic characteristic, which is a shame really as I quite like it.
The pictures are all of the same fish - I imagine by the fin extensions that "he" is a male?
Should I have any problems breeding him with a domesticated triple red?
If they were to breed, does anyone know what characteristics the offspring would inherit? My worry would be that it'd create a messy combination of blues, yellows and reds!
It crossed my mind that the female could be so far removed from her wild origins that they don't interact in the same. Either way I may pick up a female, as they worked out very cheap and really are beautiful fish. Much more subtle colours than the triple reds, but boy is he nice :)

Didn't you believe me then mate!!! lol! Think you might find the fish resemble the wild form at first and that you'd have to select for the red colouration again in subsequent generations. They might show some red though. Personally having seen them in the flesh I'd get a wild female and breed them wild to wild.

electric eel

5 Year Member
i hope you guys in the uk and europe realize how lucky you are to be able to walk into a shop and purchase wild apisto's.i have never(i take that back.i think i found a tank full of wild trifaciata one time-all males) seen any around here.you very occassionally see the odd tank bred apisto(invariably triple red cacautoides) and often then only males.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My 2¢; yes it is an A. cacatuoides with a rather unusual caudal pattern for the species. If I had this fish - and didn't have a female from the same shipment - I would try to find a German aquarist with a domestic blue color form to breed with him.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Rolo... I had learned about the parasite theory a long time ago, so no I am not sure of it. A virus also makes sense, but they are in effect parasites as well. I have also seen skin flukes make relatively patterns like that, but the flukes are curable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….