• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wild Apisto Cacatuoides.

Microman

5 Year Member
My question concerns caring for the free swimming fry.
I have experienced on many occasions male Apisto Trifasciata conducting the brood caring duties,Does this rule also apply to wild Apisto Cacatuoides?
I have a male who will not allow the female near the free swimming fry,he is looking after the brood alone.
He is not doing the job as well as the female though.
Any advice on this subject would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Male care of fry by the more polyganous species like A. cacatuoides, is not typical, but not rare either. It usually occurs when the male has nothing to do because his territory does not need to be defended. As you can see, they are not good at this parenting job & usually lose most or all of the fry. I would pull the male if he were in my care.

Microman

5 Year Member
Thanks Mike,
You are correct in the assumption that he has nothing else to do as the pair are in a 48" tank with no other occupants.
I normally do pull the male when breeding Apistos and wanting to raise the fry
but as i am growing out another brood from him i thought i would leave them to it this time and study the brood care.
If i add some dithers next time they breed then i assume he will then revert back to his normal territory guarding duties and leave the female to do what they do best.
Mark.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….