• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wierd Inka behaviour

tleehm

5 Year Member
Recently the Inka female had a second batch of egg, but I wasn't able to move the growing fry off so the newly born got eaten by their brothers and sisters (not nice).

Anyway, I've removed the fry soon after (though it's too late already) and the female started to act strangely. She has started to collect air bubble from a leak in the sponge filter and place them in the pot to create a "gas chamber". Have you seen or head of such behaviour before?

I think repairing the air leak in the filter is the only way to stop her from doing it again.

Here's a picture of her achievement.

Please comment.

Thanks,
Thomas.

gas_chamber.jpg

blueblue

5 Year Member
It is very interesting and strange. :)
i have not observed this strange behaviour in apistos before.

By the way, i remember some friends in Hong Kong have the experience that
the female apistos try to lay eggs inside the flask near the place with air bubbles!! Would that be related?

tleehm

5 Year Member
Thanks guys.

I've tried to stop her by fixing the leak in the sponge filter and release the air from the pot yesterday evening. This morning, she has managed to restore the pot to the way it was in the photo - and has been collecting air directly from the water surface.

She does not collect BBS, so guess she's psychologically not in a bad state yet.

I think she needs a holiday to get over the drama of loosing the newly hatched :rolleyes:

Thomas.

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
I agree with Mike Wise.

I saw females of trifasciata and borellii guarding and trying to group daphnia and the bubbles incident reminds me that behaviour.

tleehm

5 Year Member
Bad idea :eek:

I return one of the fry back with her to try and get her settled. At first she got excited, got close and ...... snap.... :mad:

I've seen her done this before, but she always release them back out. This time - she CHEWED it up.

Oh well - a real bad idea indeed (fortunately still got 60 odd fry left :cool: ).

Thomas.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bijouxcailloux

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….