• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Why do male Apistogrammas die more than females?

Olorin

5 Year Member
Hi, I this year I have hade 4 Apistogramma Agassizi females and 3 males. All males are dead now and one female. Are males more sensitive?

Mud Pie Mama

5 Year Member
I do not have any answer, sorry. But , I want to add that this has been the same problem that I've been having. Also, again especially w/ my A. agassizii.

First I thought it was due to bad local stock, (imports from Far East.) I went thru three males in 2006 & 2007. That original female from 2006 is still healthy and hanging out in a community tank.

So this year I hoped to increase my odds of success w/ better stock by shipping in from specialty mail order suppliers. A wild aggies, one A. agassizii "Double Red" Czech breed, and one from a breeder out west. I am now watching my last male slowly decline. There are three healthy - and now sad females - in his tank. And I have another two widowed females in two other tanks.

So, yes the girls remain and the boys are going, going, gone.:mad:
I'd love to know what's up or why.

I'm feeling so frustrated I'm just about ready to throw in the towel on any more A. agassizii. EXCEPT I've got FIVE lonely girls! UGHHH! What do I do w/ five girls!???

Olorin

5 Year Member
One more with the same problem. You wrote fading, and that is a very good description. They start out aggressive to conquer the whole tank, then when the territories are set up, they get slower and less colourful for every day. I have one male now that is still alive, but I am sure he is blind cause he randomly bump inte things and change direction like one of those car toys with a spinning drive wheel.

And just like you I keep stocking up on females. Now I have thre sade females... And just like you I am about to give up on Agassizi.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….