• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

White Cacatuoides eggs

N

namezmud

Hi,

Of my 4 A.Cacatuoides spawns, the eggs from two of them have turned white and no fry hatched. The other two spawns produced viable fry (although I think the older siblings polished off the second batch of free swimming fry :roll: .

My question is, what is the usual reason for the egss turning white and not hatching? I'm guessing the water is too hard. My parameters are :

Ph 6.7
GH ~8-10DH
KH low
Temp 24-25C

Thanks,

aspen

5 Year Member
>>'My question is, what is the usual reason for the egss turning white and not hatching? I'm guessing the water is too hard.'

good guess. i've had small viable spawns at gh 8, kh 4. maybe you are pushing it a bit? if you get the water right and still no success, blame the male. but you should soften the water to rule that out.

rick

Neil

namezmud,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

It is possible, but unlikely that your water hardness had alot to do with your eggs fungusing, with cacatuoides. Usually it is a function of the female not caring for them properly or the eggs not being viable in the first place.

However, aspens suggestion can't hurt!

Neil

boyohboy

5 Year Member
I have a pair of A.cac for awhile and they spawned at least 3 times. Even the first time (~2 weeks in my tank) there were some hatched, altho the fry didn't last long. The 2nd time there'r already 40+ fry.

And my water is pH ~7.4, kH ~90ppm and GH ~120ppm according to city water report.... which I think is close to urs. So I dont' think the water is a big problem... but then I still new at this so don't quote me :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sounds like the fry are not getting the right food or the water is fouling on them.
What kinds of food & what kind of water management do you use?

Zapisto

5 Year Member
GH is high but i dont think it is the prob for your fry.
i already raised cacs with this GH with no probs.

but it was me i will check the food as mike says.

in a too clean tanks ( :roll: ) without a good food (appropriate size) your fry will die.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJM_Aquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….