• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which Pelvicachromis taeniatus?

Azur

5 Year Member
I recently bought four young taeniatus which were sold as P. taeniatus "Lobe". As they've started to mature, I find that increasingly unlikely, and wonder if anyone here can identify what race they belong to (or if they perhaps are cultivars or hybrids)?

(I apologize for the quality of the photos; the fish are very camera-shy, and also my external flash picked this day to die on me)

Taeniatus_DSC_1982.jpg

Taeniatus_2_DSC_1979.jpg

taeniatus_3_DSC_1981.jpg

There's also a female, but she hides as soon as I get close to the tank, so I've as yet been unable to get any photos of her.

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Every picture I have seen of Lobe in books always shows males with spotless tail fins, so the spots on your fish's look a bit suspicious! I'm afraid though that it may be impossible to tell for sure. If you have doubts it may be best to simply refer to them as an aquarium strain when you sell babies on.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Nope.. not Lobe, or likely any other variety from the Lobe River system. The spot size and number suggest to me that these are a Kribi River type, such as Kienke or Lokounje. Unfortunately, they are so similar and variable even within populations that determining the exact location wodl be tough, if not impossible. Regardless, they are nice fish.

Azur

5 Year Member
Thanks; that's pretty much as I feared.

I looked at the profile here at Apistogramma.com, and I frankly can't see any difference between Moliwe and the Kribi forms, and all of them look like my fish. :frown:

I'll have to think about what to do with them. I should destroy them, as I've no use for unidentifiable fish and don't want to spread unsourced and possibly hybrid fish to other hobbyists, but they're peaceful and nice-looking.

I've got a question, though - I've never kept taeniatus before, and was surprised to see that all four school together, always moving together in a tight bunch, and I've never seen any aggression. Even considering that they're clearly siblings I find that surprising as at least the female and the largest male are surely sexually mature.
Are taeniatus really that much less aggressive than pulcher?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….