• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

When to seperate parents and fry

smileandnod

5 Year Member
Hi All.

I had my fisrt spawning about 2 weeks ago (well my fish did :D ), and I am wandering when it would be best to move the parents to their new tank.

When I discovered the spawn I rushed out and bought a grow out tank, which is a 30 gallon. I then decided that the father was getting a rough deal in their current tank (12 gallon), so I bought another 30 gallon to move them to, so that next time, he will have a bit more room to move around in.

I now intend leaving the fry in the 12 for a while longer, and would like to know when it would be ok to remove the parents. The fry seem to be doing well on bbs, and tetra fry food, and don't follow mum around all the time any more.

I'd like to leave them another week, just so the new tank has time to settle a bit. Is 3 weeks old a good time to seperate them?

Thanks.

Ian.

farm41

5 Year Member
3-4 weeks is good, somtimes I wait longer, and sometimes less time. Depends on the parents, if they keep guarding the fry, they are OK to keep together, when mom starts chasing them away from her cave is time to move her.

congrats on the fry 8)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….