• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

what is it?

Greg PL

5 Year Member
This baby apisto came with a shipment of Otocinclus sp., probably from Peru.
it seems to be a female. is it too early to ID it or can someone give it a try?

I will upload a better picture as soon as I manage to make her stay in one place for a moment ;)

Greg

Greg PL

5 Year Member
all photos in the net show the atahualpa females in breeding mode, while mine joined the lonely heart club, so it's hard to compare. but the pattern seems to be very different. this one never shows lateral blotch/spot, always a solid line from the eye to the end of caudal peduncle. it has black lower lip if it helps.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The more photos of this female that I see, the less I am sure what it is. It probably is not A. atahualpa. The dorsal spots run into the dorsal fin on female A. atahualpa. They do not on this fish. It does not have the rows of dots below the lateral band, on the caudal peduncle, which are visible on A. atahualpa. It looks very much like a female A. cacatuoides, but none of the photos show the wavy abdominal stripes that are typical of A. cacatuoides. Does it ever show abdominal markings?

Greg PL

5 Year Member
It looks very much like a female A. cacatuoides, but none of the photos show the wavy abdominal stripes that are typical of A. cacatuoides. Does it ever show abdominal markings?

I'm not sure, but I think it does, rarely, show 2 spotted lines below, and parallel the lateral band.
A. cacatuoides was my first guess, but I didn't expect it to be that obvious :)
besides, for a couple of decades now, cacs only come to Poland from Czech Republic and the Far East, not from SA ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….