• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

what is gramalote??

Dravik2

hello if got a question i'm making a biotope and now if found the following info on the location i'm trying to replicate

REMARKS

Dark brown water, current, grass and gramalote. Flooded stream.

i do not know what gramalote is ??

hope someone can help me :)

rr16

5 Year Member
Is this biotope in Colombia? A quick google search brings up Gramalote municipality in Colombia.

Dravik2

nope that was the first thing i found to

the biotope i would like to recreate is this http://www.gbif.org/occurrence/48511
these fish occure at this catch site
http://www.gbif.org/occurrence/search?HAS_GEOSPATIAL_ISSUE=false&BASIS_OF_RECORD=PRESERVED_SPECIMEN&BASIS_OF_RECORD=OBSERVATION&BASIS_OF_RECORD=UNKNOWN&BASIS_OF_RECORD=FOSSIL_SPECIMEN&BASIS_OF_RECORD=LIVING_SPECIMEN&GEOMETRY=-56.41 -27.18,-56.41 -27.07,-56.21 -27.07,-56.21 -27.18,-56.41 -27.18&DATASET_KEY=c2e3081a-ba91-40cf-b2df-9885a24b37dc

the thing i found at this moment is that crops/grasses grown for livestock are called gramalote in spannish
and the grasses found in paraguay that are called grammalote in spannish are Cortaderia selloana and Eriochloa polystachya so i think these grasses are most likely to grow in this location

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
and the grasses found in paraguay that are called grammalote in spannish are Cortaderia selloana and Eriochloa polystachya so i think these grasses are most likely to grow in this location
<"Cortaderia selloana"> is what we call "Pampus grass" in the UK, it is a popular (and extremely large) garden plant, it definitely isn't suitable as a tank plant.

I'm not familiar with the species but don't think Eriochloa is an aquatic grass either, however there is an aquatic grass with a similar scientific name to Eriochloa polystachya, and that is Echinochloa polystachya.

I think that Echinocloa polystachya grows quite widely along "white water" rivers in S. America, together with Paspapalum ssp etc. The alluvial areas where they grow are known as flood-pain or "várzea".

Have a look at <"Gurupa várzea ecoregion">

cheers Darrel

Dravik2

thank you i checked the book i found and i made a little spelling error the grass you are mentioning is the grass i meant
i know pampus grass is way to big and i wil not use it but it was a possibility so i mentioned it :)
thanks for the input

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….