• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What Algae is this?

Glasgowa

5 Year Member
Hi

I've had this tank set up for SA Cichlids since January 2007, plants since March. Recently I have been fighting against brown algae, I purchased Otto's which cleaned the whole tank but unfortunately they died and I now have 3 clown pelco's. Over the last week or so I have noticed this hairy algae which seems to be covering the plants very quickly and it's not easy to take off with your fingers. Would anyone know what this is and the best way to keep it at bay.

I have just changed the lighting to a more 'plant growth' version (10 hour cycle with 1 hour switch off midway) and add API Leaf Zone weekly. My temps sit at 28.5 degrees c and have silica sand.

Any info would be grately appreciated.

Cheers

Andrew
ALGAE2.jpg

ALGAE1.jpg

TANKSIDE.jpg

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
That looks like Cladophora and maybe some Black Brush algae too. The best thing I've found for eating this are Siamese Algae eaters. My three do a great job of keeping it down. Apparently adding CO2 at stable levels helps control it too, but I haven't found this personally!

beleg

5 Year Member
Flourish excel is a carbon and nutrient source which helps plants grow healthier than algae but it will not kill the algae. Like Ed suggested the best way to fight this and other algae is adding SAE to tanks. They eat the new algae growth but the old ones will eventually die out.

beleg

5 Year Member
Yes that probably happens because of nutrient deficiency. When plants can get enough Carbon, algae cannot compete with them for other nutrients (i.e. light, nitrogen, trace elements etc)

Glasgowa

5 Year Member
Guys

Thanks for your help. Initially I have stopped API ferts (looking to get Flourish excel) although in the mean time also trying to source some SAE.

I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Andrew

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….