• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

wet dry filter

J

jrsq

I read on another board (african cichlid based) that wet dry fileters produce nitrates at a higher level that other filters.
true?

If yes my question is:
Would a wet dry then be a better choice for a planted and fish tank?

Wouldn't the nitrates be needed by the plants if the tank is well filtered and not overstocked or overfed?

Thanks

farm41

5 Year Member
No filters reduce or produce nitrates. Until you clean them, then you are removing the nitrates.

But, yes plants do use the nitrates.

M0oN

5 Year Member
Wet/dry filters break down ammonium and nitrite a little faster then most other filters and provide a larger surface area for bio-beds...it's not really necessary with dwarf cichlids.

The only way to get anaerobic conditions for breaking down nitrate is with plants :)

J

jrsq

So then both of you agree:

a wet dry is no better for plants
and
a wet dry does not lead to higher nitrates

I didn't think that sounded right

Thanks

farm41

5 Year Member
It can lead to higher nitrates, if the user doesn't clean the filter and change water often enough. The downfall of the wet/dry is that it can hold more waste than smaller filters. Still totally dependant on the user for proper maintenence.

M0oN

5 Year Member
jrsq, there are A LOT of ways that are not very commonly known to most people who aren't scientists for producing higher nitrate levels and balancing out the ecosystem in your tank...

I would highly suggest you go out and buy the book "Ecology Of The Planted Aquarium A Practical Manual and Scientific Treastise for the Home Aquarist" by Diana Walstad.

It is THE absolute best book I have ever read in relation to aquarium's, period. There is so much information in this book that it's staggering and Diana presents it in a way that requires the reader to actually think and try their own methods of experimentation, it doesn't just show you a step by step way of doing things. This is the key to the evolution of the hobby in my opinion.

If you have trouble finding it amazon.com sells it, which is where I bought it from...seriously, rather then wasting money on a bunch of fancy filters and such, buy this book...it illustrates ways of keeping planted tanks that don't require water changes for upwards of 6 months, some very very interesting tid bits in it and the most in depth look at how different chemicals and bacteria react with one another in an ecosystem...easily the most informative description of the nitrificatoin process I've ever read.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….