• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

We did collect Apisto trifasciata

Ttw

5 Year Member
When I described the fish we collected in Bolivia last summer I mentioned that most were quite small and difficult if not impossible to identify. Once the fish were home in our aquariums for awhile my collecting partner noticed some fish that he thought may be trifasciata in with a large group of inconspicua. These fish were collected in the impound pool of a dammed up river where a new bridge was being built. They were very small and we did not notice them at the time of collection. He gave me the four fish in question and now that they have grown they are readily identified as trifasciata. I now have a brood of fry from them. All quite exciting since we thought we had failed to get this fish.
We collected it from the Rio Paragua.
The fish looks like the fish Mike Wise described in The Cichlid Room Companion as mentioned by Tom C. in his article on A. erythrura. It is large, larger than any trifasciata I have seen before and has a honey colored back with a barely visible diagonal stripe. At the time Mike thought it was A. trifasciata maciliensis.
Mike, at one time you sent me a link on the different color morphs of trifasciata by collection site. Of course I can't find it now. Do you recall that Article?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes: Staeck, Wolgang Zur Variabilität von Apistogramma trifasciata (EIGENMANN & KENNEDY, 1903), DCG-Informationen, Sonderheft 5: 11–18. This Sonderheft/Special Publication has several excellent article on populations and color variants of other dwarf cihlids, too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….