• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Video - F1 cacatuoides cf Blue

Neptune's Neighborhood

5 Year Member
Hi guys,

I don't know how many of you have had a chance to see the coloration of one of the new color forms of Apistogramma cacatuoides (discovered October 2012 - fourth article down)

I got these F1 fish from Dave Soares a few weeks back, and they've finally gotten over their shyness and started to color up.. and even shimmer!

Not the greatest video, but I haven't had a chance to capture them until yesterday

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I highly doubt that your fish from Dave are the same population as Tom's. Tom & I collected the populations from the Río Aguarico and the lower Río Curaray. Neither are presently available through commercial channels. I didn't bring any of these 2 populations back the the US with me. Only Tom has specimens. It's unlikely that we'll see these populations until Tom spreads them around Europe and they eventually get into North America. I did bring back the population form the Río Putumayo, where we collected it near Estrecho. There are regular flights between Estrecho and Iquitos, so it is possible that fish may find their way into the commercial trade. I know Sergio, our guide and one of the best collectors in Peru, was negotiating shipping fish from there. Nevertheless, unless you know for certain where your fish (or their parents) were collected in the wild, I encourage you not to claim them to be the same as someone else's fish. My guess is that Dave's fish originated somewhere between Iquitos and Pucallpa. Compare it to the A. cacatuoides that recently arrived from the Río Aguaytia. I'm not saying that they are the same; just similar.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
True, Dave never claimed they were any particular population. On the other hand, the first paragraph in your OP implied they were the same - or at least many hobbyist would think you were. Obviously that was my impression. Otherwise there's really no real reason to include it. I just wanted people to know that your fish are very unlikely to be the same population(s) as Tom's fish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….