• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Trying to find out if gold cacatuoide is female or male.

drudnick

5 Year Member
I recently purchased 3 cacatuoides, a pair of triple reds 1 male and female, and then what is supposed to be a gold female. The gold looks like what the description of a male is, high spiky looking fins, top half of back fin has orange and black markings, alittle tint of orange and black on top fins, but very little. I would post pic, but dont know how to get it in the post. Anyways could females show these features? The one in question follows the male all over the tank, and the male seems to do nothing but run away, never really in trouble or threatened physically. If anyone has yahoo im, I know how to show a pic there. SN-chillininri Anyways if anyone has any thoughts based on descriptions I gave please respond. I know it might be tough without a pic

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Any A. cacatuoides with a "high spiky looking [dorsal] fin" is a male. Females will have pointed tips on the dorsal fin spines, but they never become high.

drudnick

5 Year Member
Thats kinda what i thought. The guy i bought them from said he/she has been in an all female tank, but as a female. Now it seems I have 2 males, and what is supposed to be a female, but still kinda tiny. so I should try and find a couple more females to get in the tank I would imagine?

drudnick

5 Year Member
Yo ragman, you get around...lol

I dont know how to post pics on this thing. I tried, it says to input url. Im not very computer savvy. I got a couple nice shots of the gold one. I was hoping to put one in like people do next to their SN, but like I mentioned, not to good with that kinda stuff. If I figure it out I will.

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
It's not hard just alot of steps.

To get the url of your picture. Take the picture you wnt to post and move it to your desk top. Then go to www.photobucket.com and set up a acoount then click on up-lod new image and then click on browes. It will open a window that has eerything on yur disktop then simple click on the image to be up-loaded. it will open the image url into the browser.
Then simple just click up-load and it'll up-laod it to photobucket. Then once the picture is up loaded.It will have under the picture it's url. left click on it and turn it blue. then right click on it and copy it. Then come to this site and click on up-load. Then when the window pops up and ask for the url. Right click in the window and click on pasted. There you go not the best instructions but hopfully. They'll help ya'll out some. it's not hard it's just a lot of steps to get a picture posted.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….