• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

tips on breeding and raising? anyone

ihavefishwantmore

5 Year Member
I am getting my first apisto's this week. I went wild and got several different ones. Any tips for breeding,first food, or general should know would be great.

Apistt_ed

with all great advances in frozen food, the risks that i have encountered with illnesses and contaminations in live foods has decreased greatly. anything ranging from mosquito larvae to frozen black worms to brine shimp have all it's benefits along with good cichlid flakes.. diet shouldn't be as big of a factor as the water parameters... depending on the apistogrammas that you got, make sure your water and temp is good for the species and space is sufficient... what fish are you getting anyways? hopefully this helped.,.. and we'll all try to help the most we can.

ihavefishwantmore

5 Year Member
Thanks, but I was looking for some specifics. What do they like to breed in best? What is the best first food for babies? What size tank do you use for a pair? I got cac., agass., bor., mcmasteri, nij. Do you just throw them together and they breed?

fishgeek

use the search function for some of your spawning requirements in these fish
it is likly they have been discussed before

tank size would need to be about 2 sq ft footprint for a pair or trio of fish
basically my understanding is about 2sq ft male territory and 1 sq ft female
obviously that is rather basic and there is more to individual species than just that

you will need some shelter (search under oak leaves) coconut shells, terracotta pots etc for spawning in

low levels of water movement most suggest air driven filtration, so as not to lose young

good quality water, check specific requirement for all the fish you listed
aggies will need quite acidic conditions and cac's will be ok at neutral

bbs are good for free swimming fry
i also use microworms , in well planted tanks they seem to do well round mosses etc with natural food supply

there are more experienced here who will no doubt give you more detailed answers
i am a relative beginneer myself

andrew

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….