• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tilapia tholloni spawned

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
I bought a group of six Tilapia tholloni a while back (2 years)? One pair started coloring up dramatically a few days back and did lots of digging in the tank. Today, when I returned from a 3-day business trip I found a clutch of eggs in the corner of the tank. The parents so far seem to take good care of the eggs. Another pair now also starts displaying some color and do some digging. I haven't taken any pictures yet. This is the first time they spawned for me, and I want to disturb them as little as possible.

The look gorgeous in breeding coloration -- lots of red. Not to comapred with the somewhat plain greenish-brownish color they normally have.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Steve: The males are about 6", the females are smaller. I only have the six fish that I got from Ned, when we placed our order back when. YOu must have given your half of the original group to someone else. By the way, the parents are still protecting the eggs pretty well.

Janos

joop

Hello Janos,
Can you make some pictures.

On Saturday i have had some Tilapia sp Kisangani.

Maybe it looks like tholloni.

gr

Joop

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Joop,

I created a one-minute videoclip but have problems uploading it into YouTube (probably too many people in the internet tonight). I'll try uploading the video again this Saturday.

Janos

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
I tried the upload again and this time it went through. I didn't clean the glass before taking the video, because I wanted to disturb the fish as little as possible. While I was at work they moved the wrigglers from the right front corner of the tank into a small pit behind the boulders. You may be able to see the wrigglers in the first frame of the video. The female keeps in the back of the tank with the wrigglers, while the male swims up to the front glass and/or chases tank mates away. Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKnulJycEU4

joop

Hello Janos,

Great fish.
It looks like the fish called Tilapia margaritacea by Anton Lamboj.

You can see it in the book Cihlids of Western Africa(Lamboj)

gr

Joop

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Joop: I am aware of the picture in Anton's book and the fish indeed look very similar. On the other hand Ariel is a very good friend of Anton and I'm sure the two worked out the identification as good as they could; here's another image of the tholloni: http://www.cichlidae.com/gallery/genus.php?id=48

I'm in contact with Anton fairly regularly; next time the opportunity presents itself I will ask him about the two species.

This morning I thought the pair lost the wrigglers. Later I relaized that they moved them to yet another pit they had dug up.

Jeff, I keep 6 tholloni in a 75G. The only other fish in the tank are two G. ethelwynnae and two very old Micralestes stormsi (the last survivors from a group of 12 fish that I bought several years ago).

Janos

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
The tholloni are free-swimming now. A pretty decent-sized group. The parents are still doing a good job protecting the fry, even though the two ethelwynnae living in the same tank manage to snatch an occasional fry. I'll try to make another video this weekend.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
The two Gobiocichla in the tank managed to snag some tholloni fry every day, and the numbers came down to about 20-25. I decided to pull as many tholloni as I could and netted about 15 fry tonight. I'd like to bring up at least enough fish to pass on to two other hobbyists.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
The same pair spawned for me again. I took a brief video tonight, but will need to upload it to Youtube for posting here. Also, the first batch of fry has been growing well and should be ready for distribution in earlt spring. I will try to shoot a video of them on or before the weekend.

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
juvie give away

If any forum members is interested in trying the tholloni, the fish from the first spawn are ready to go. I don't mind shipping but would prefer waiting for warmer weather. All I'd ask for is a a few $$ per fish plus shipping. Pick up is possible also, in fact preferred. I'll be out of town 1/31-2/9.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scapesce

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….