• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thoracochromis demeusii

freshwaterfishfan

5 Year Member
Two months ago I bought a group of west african cichlids labeled "Ctenochromis sp." from Toyin Ojo. I have them in a 55 G and they have grown up and I think they are Thoracochromis demeusii. They fit the description in Lamboj's book to a tee, right down to the very concave head and red hump. They look like a miniature Geo. steindeckeri (as Ted Judy says). Anyone else get these fish from Toyin and come to the same conclusion? And if anyone wants a wild male, let me know. I learned just in time that this is a one male/tank fish. The alpha male had beat this guy to a pulp but I rescued him and have nursed him back to health. An attractive and small (though aggressive) fish.
Steve

Randall

5 Year Member
Thoracochromis demeusii?

Hello fishfan,

I've never heard of any Thoracochromis demeusii in the U.S., and Ctenochromis are extremely rare as well. Please take some photos and post them here in the forum.

Thanks and good luck!

All the best,

Randall Kohn

freshwaterfishfan

5 Year Member
T. demuessi

No, they look nothing like that picture, though the male does have 3 egg spots. The male has a silver base color with red/black outline to the dorsal fins and a very prominent nuchal hump that is red as well.
The male never stops moving making it difficult to get a good shot. I will try to get some pictures posted.
The best pic I found on the web is:
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/thumbnails/thumb_thoracochromis.jpg

and mine look like that with more color (they don't have blue lips, though).
Steve

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
You need a hosting site Steve. Email them to me adn I will post them for you if you want.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Here are Steve's images

T%5b1%5d._demeusii_male0.JPG

T%5b1%5d._demeusii_male1.JPG

T%5b1%5d._demeusii_male2.JPG

http://webpages.charter.net/tedjudy/fish images/T[1]._demeusii_male0.JPG

freshwaterfishfan

5 Year Member
What do you think?

While the pictures certainly won't end up in Smithsonian, I hope they get the general body design/coloration across. This guy rules the 55 G he is in. He has daily battles with a male B. finleyi. Luckily the B. finleyi sticks to the bottom of the tank most of the time.
Steve

Randall

5 Year Member
Thoracochromis or Ctenochromis?

Hello Steve,

Do you have a magnifying glass? You do? Good!

If you have a look at Lamboj's genera descriptions for Thoracochromis and Ctenochromis, the former possess smaller chest scales vs. flank and body scales; while the latter possess a bare chest in front of the pelvic fins. This should help you to ID your new fish. Also, can Toyin Ojo tell you where your fish were collected?

If they were collected in the lower Congo drainage, for example, that would limit the possibilities to four species: T. bakongo, T. demeusii, T. fasciata, or C. polli. Looking at your photos, I'd say you have either T. demeusii or C. polli.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stripes

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….