• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Thinking about getting an apisto pair

Alexp08

Hello, so i just started up a 20gallong high tank and ive been planning a stock list. I love cichlids and have normally stuck to Africans but this tank is too small for most Africans. So alot of people have suggested I get apistos but we're lacking on any info on them for me.

So to start.
My tank is technically a 24g but there is a 4gal overflow, so filtration is not a issue. The main part is 20 Gal. The dimensions of the main tank are approximately 23"x11"x18"

My waters ph is 7.4
The dGh is 6

With my tank im going for a clean simplistic look. So it will be lightly planted but not crowded with decor.

3f14fac21ce2c5d98bf84ab599179e7d.jpg
b8772e4cf8ed8861c23ab4d0381469ae.jpg

So is this tank suitable for a pair of apistos? I'm not actually looking for them to breed I just love the coloring they provide. So would two males be possible or would that lead to a massive fight?

Also id like some dither fish and just have the apisto's be a center piece.

So what advice could you guys give me?
Thanks!
What stocking advice out you give me. Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
With my tank im going for a clean simplistic look. So it will be lightly planted but not crowded with decor. So is this tank suitable for a pair of apistos?
You need to have a bit of a re-think for Apistogramma etc, they like complex environments with lots of structure to break up line of sight.

This is a similar sized tank which housed a pair of Dicrossus maculatus (sadly deceased)

dicrossus_female1.jpg

Have a look at <"Good habitat for Dwarf Cichlids">, <"Some pics from a basement....."> and <"All the leaves are brown">.

cheers Darrel

Alexp08

Based on my scaping are there any cichlids that would do well?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….