• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

The difference between?

coltiger

5 Year Member
Hi this is my first post here, I've been keeping fish since I was 12 Iam know 30...anyways right now I breed bettas (not of any importance here lol) but recently I've decided I wanna try my luck at dwarf cichlids mainly South Americans...

My question...I know there are three Rams but only two seem to be available at the LFS...ramirezi and altispinossa...I have a hard time finding out what are the key differences between them. The Bolivan seems to look bigger but is there a sure way to identify them?

I have two wild caught ramirezis as of right now, I plan on buying more

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The Orinoco Ram (M. ramirezi) & the Bolivian Ram (M. altispinosus) look quite different in size, color, shape of the tail fin, & the markings on the body. Just compare pictures of them side by side & you can see the differences. The Bolivian Rams never have a blue body. The Orinoco Ram (other than the xantoristic yellow morph) always have blue on the flanks.

coltiger

5 Year Member
Thank you

I've seen Bolivan Rams before but they were full grown and well the size and colour was an obvious way for me to tell the difference. I asked because I've seen Rams marked Bolivan but they were much smaller and harder to tell the difference...but saying that I did notice blue along the sides so I guess the LFS was trying to ripoff customers

coltiger

5 Year Member
Another question...might sound dumb.

From what I've seen Bolivian Rams tend to be more aggressive than Ramirez...if I set up a 60 gallon tank is it okay to mix the two species? I don't intend to breed the Bolivian maybe just have one or two, mainly just a group of Ramirez.

Right now I have my female bettas in with the Rams and everything seems to be okay, actually the Rams seem to have helped the aggression between them. The female bettas are used for breeding. I was thinking of adding some Green Neons Paracheirodon simulans as a sort of dither fish.

For my 60 gallon setup

1 or 2 Bolivian Rams

4 or 5 Ramirez

6 female bettas

8 Paracheirodon simulans

Is this okay or is it too much, I don't really want bottom feeders but I might think about adding a couple of Brochis species.

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
I don't see anything wrong with that on my part anyway. The tank size is big enough to support them. I'd look into a botom feeder or clean up crew for the waste or left over food to help keep the bio load down some what.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
In a non-breeding situation, both Ram species should be OK as long as there are enough hiding places. I see no problem unless the Bolivian Rams eventually breed in the tank. Then, the other bottom dwellers will be in danger.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I have never read of the 2 Ram species mentioned breeding together. It is much more likely that M. altispinosus will cross with M. sp. Zweifleck/Two-patch.

coltiger

5 Year Member
I just got a couple of Bolivian Rams today, I saw them marked as Assorted Geophagus at Petcetera...a discount pet store. I placed them in with the same tank as the two Ramirez. it is only been a few hours but the two species don't seem to be having issues...although the two Bolivians have took the little Ramirez's little space of the tank...he is dominant over the larger Ramirez which I found odd cause it was the other way about in the tank they were in before.

coltiger

5 Year Member
what a difference a day makes, the two Bolivians are now subject to tennis ball between the two Ramirez territories...Iam gonna rearrange everything.

I've kept Ramirez before with Kribs and they stayed away from them...I thought Bolivian Rams were alittle more aggressive...if after rearranging the tank nothing changes I will setup another just for the Bolivians

10001801cu.jpg

one of the Ramirez

10002028wg.jpg

one of the Bolivian's

10001922eo.jpg

Bolivian and Ramirez with a female betta tail lol

excuse the blurry pictures, Iam just trying to figure out how to take photos of fish.

coltiger

5 Year Member
I know Bolivian Rams are difficult to sex, my pictures don't really do anything because they are on the move.

The two Bolivian Rams basically hang out, one has more red/orange on his/her stomach and has two spots on his/her sides and the other has less orange/red on his/her stomach and just one spot. There doesn't seem to be any bullying going on other than the Ramirez chasing them out of their territory.

One has what looks like a tiny egg tube, I know it is not the anus lol Is there a couple of ways to check how to sex them?

C

cichlidacious

nice pictures. How are the bolivian, ramirezi and betta getting along now?

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AussieApisto

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(