• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tap water for dwarf cichlid

Cookie_apisto

Can I keep Apisto, Checkerboard cichlid, dwarf pike cichlid and German blue ram in tap water? I am not looking to breed them at the moment so I just only enjoy keeping them. The PH is 7.8, KH is 6 degree and GH is also 6 degree from my tap. If I going to keep the wild caught ones what should I do with it?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your Rams should handle these conditions. I think it's much too alkaline for checkerboards and dwarf pikes. As for apistos, it depends on which of the 350+ species/forms you plan to keep.

Cookie_apisto

I see. So what should I do to lower the Ph and hardness beside of using RO unit. I am living in a condo so I dont have much space for a RO unit. I am thinking of the sera peat moss but not sure if is a good choice. Do you guys have any experience with it? My LFS told me to buy some ada soil then put some in the filter with a filter bag. Is this going to work?

Last edited:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You could try peat (I use garden style sphagnum peat - with NO additives), but I doubt it will be very effective. Your dKH is just a bit too high. Your best option is to dilute your tap water with R/O, D/I or distilled water and then use peat. Sera makes great products, but they are expensive compared to peat sold at any garden store.

Cookie_apisto

So any peat from any garden store is fine? If I buy those peat from a garden store do I need to rinse ir before i use them? I dont have space for a RO unit due to that I am living in condo.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
So any peat from any garden store is fine?
It has to be 100% sphagnum peat with no fertiliser etc. Have a look at this thread <"nijsenni">, and linked threads, for some more detail.
LFS told me to buy some ada soil then put some in the filter with a filter bag. Is this going to work?
Probably not, it is the same issue as with the peat, both products soften the water via ion exchange.

cheers Darrel

Cookie_apisto

So sphagnum peat is better than peat moss? If these stuff really did lower the ph and hardness from my water what Should I do when it comes to water change? Should I dose Ph down or proper ph 6.5 to the new water before I refill it into the tank?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sphagnum peat is what the best aquarium grade peat is made from. Peat moss is more or less unprocessed sphagnum moss plants, although they are commonly - but wrongly - used interchangeably. If you buy garden sphagnum peat, just check if it's pure (no fertilizers, no fungicides). There's no need to clean it. Just put in in a mesh bag and cycle water through it. Use of chemicals to adjust pH isn't normally recommended because they raise the electrical conductivity of the water. It is best to replace water with peat-treated water. An R/O-peat treatment system doesn't take much space. All you need is a place to hold a 20 gallon storage bin. An undercounter R/O unit is all you need for a water source.

Cookie_apisto

Sphagnum peat is what the best aquarium grade peat is made from. Peat moss is more or less unprocessed sphagnum moss plants, although they are commonly - but wrongly - used interchangeably. If you buy garden sphagnum peat, just check if it's pure (no fertilizers, no fungicides). There's no need to clean it. Just put in in a mesh bag and cycle water through it. Use of chemicals to adjust pH isn't normally recommended because they raise the electrical conductivity of the water. It is best to replace water with peat-treated water. An R/O-peat treatment system doesn't take much space. All you need is a place to hold a 20 gallon storage bin. An undercounter R/O unit is all you need for a water source.
So i go to a garden store and ask for
Organic sphagnum peat with no additives in it? I am living in a small condo so i space is really limited lol. Under my sink is pack with stuff already.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
So i go to a garden store and ask for
Organic sphagnum peat with no additives in it? I am living in a small condo so i space is really limited lol. Under my sink is pack with stuff already.
Your best bet is with a company that sells media for carnivorous plants, orchids or reptiles.
Have a look at <http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3200.html>.

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
So i go to a garden store and ask for Organic sphagnum peat with no additives in it?

Yes

I am living in a small condo so i space is really limited lol. Under my sink is pack with stuff already.

Sorry to learn this. Trying to drop pH & hardness in moderately hard water only with peat may not work. Softening the water first is almost a necessity. An R/O unit is the least expensive and reliable method to do this. The only cheaper method is capturing rainwater, but it's not as reliable and takes more space.

gerald

5 Year Member
Or you can choose species that tolerate moderate hardness. 6 degrees GH & KH is not terribly hard - there's lots of species that will live and breed in that water. The pH will usually drop over time anyway, as the KH gets used up by plants and bacteria. Peat and/or oak leaves will help.

Cookie_apisto

Or you can choose species that tolerate moderate hardness. 6 degrees GH & KH is not terribly hard - there's lots of species that will live and breed in that water. The pH will usually drop over time anyway, as the KH gets used up by plants and bacteria. Peat and/or oak leaves will help.
Oak leaves or almond leaves, which one do the best?

gerald

5 Year Member
My tap water is soft (2 deg GH and KH) and oak works just fine. There's lots of oaks in my neighborhood and I save a big bag full every fall. I have not used almond and dont know whether it has any "stronger" effect that might be better for treating harder water.

gerald

5 Year Member
80 to 84 F is a good temp for rams, checkerboards, and some Apisto species from warm streams. Apistos are a wide-ranging group, and there's no "best temp" for them all. Some come from 80+ F streams, but others (borellii, commbrae, etc) would probably do better at 70-75 F.

Cookie_apisto

This is what I found at a garden store today. The sales told me it should be pure because it is organic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    608.1 KB · Views: 413

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….