• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tankmates aggresion.

Deeman

I have a 120 x 40 wide x 55 cm tall community planted tank. It is stocked with tetras and a pair of Ap. Macmasteri. They weren't breeding, but seemed to get along ok. The male was constantly flashing at the female, but she wasn't interested.
I wanted to add another pair of dwarfs, and read on here that folk had been successful with Macs and Nannacara anomala (Golden dwarf cichlid), so I added a pair.
Before I added them, I re-arranged the tank décor. Lots of wood, rocks and live plants.
Adding them seems to have fired up the Macs, as she has turned yellow and is flashing at the male now. Unfortunately, they won't leave the Golden Dwarfs alone, and chase them any time they appear from hiding.
Should I try and remove the Golden Dwarfs for their health, or might things settle down? Removing them would probably mean a complete tank overhaul to catch them, as I have a ton of rocks and wood in there, and would probably lose the live plants.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Mac males have been reported to take entire 2m tanks as their territory. My guess, without seeing the tank, is that the lay-out of the tank needs more boundary markers and less open space.

Deeman

Thanks for the reply, Mike.
I think I would struggle to get any more rocks or wood into the tank! :)
There is hardly any bare gravel showing. Any part without wood or rocks on it is heavily planted.
Things have calmed down slightly.
The female Mac has claimed a coconut shell and isn't moving very far from it, and the male is staying pretty close to her.
The Golden dwarfs have managed to stay peaceful for periods today, and must have good places to hide when the Macmonster is on the hunt, as I can never see where they dart to.

Deeman

20170210_175119.jpg
20170210_175410.jpg

Deeman

The female is next to the coconut centre right on the 1st pic. The male is in front of the far right rock on one of his patrols.
The Golden Dwarfs are hiding in there somewhere. :)

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Once the anomalas learn the lay-out of your tank they should be able to hide from the macs when necessary. When the anomalas breed you could have problems. Females are extremely aggressive when defending fry - even toward much larger fish. Now you know why a community tank is a very poor breeding tank.

Deeman

Just an update for anyone that was interested. I changed things around, and things have calmed down. The Macmonster still rules the tank, but the Golden Dwarfs seem to have been allowed to claim a small territory as their own.
This is the new layout. I set up two definite territories.
20170216_134528.jpg

Deeman

I think the Golden Dwarfs have spawned, so this could get interesting.
At first, I thought a new fish had somehow hitch-hiked into my tank. I had to look online to find out what the black and white checked fish chasing other fish away actually was. A very dramatic colour change in the female. Unfortunately, the spot she has chosen is hidden away, and it's difficult to see much of what is going on.

Happyfins

I have found Nannacara females very variable. They tend to be aggressive mainly toward the male and not so much toward other species as long as they don't encroach on the fry. Their behaviour toward males can range from "Stay out of my way!" to "I will kill you!" The latter seem to be more intent on harassing the males rather than looking after their brood. I wonder what the evolution behind this is.

Deeman

She seems to be tolerating the male being in the area. Perhaps she needs the extra pair of eyes with the Macs trying to encroach on their space?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….