• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sunken Stomach - help!

cacatuoides

5 Year Member
Hi

My female bitaeniata has been stressed and being chased by my male, she has not been eating and suffers from a sunken stomach now....

May I know if there is any effective remedies to cure her sunken stomach and regain her appetite?

she has passed out a string of white poo few days back...

cacatuoides

5 Year Member
She now in my planted tank alone.....giving her all her favourite food, frozen, live and pellets....it'll probably take sometime before she fattens up and recover....

could she be suffering from any internal bacteria or such?

fishgeek

in theory you should also do a feacal sample on her to see if there are parasites or egg's within the faeces

the suggestion of a string of white poo is generally interpreted as being due to intestinal flagellate's
it could be due to any intestinal irritation and is because more mucous is being produced by an irritated gut lining

the commonly suggested options without an accurate diagnosis would be
protozoa
nematodes
cestodes

is she a wild caught fish?
treatments that maybe useful for these above conditions, in the same order would include
metronidazol , probably fenbendazol/flubendazol
levamisol , flubendazol/fenbedazol
praziquantel

andrew
ps all of these are better in food and prognosis for recovery is better in fish that still eats
in water medication is still effective

fishgeek

metronidazol is available on prescription only (so vet or doctor) in australia and uk
it is over the counter in america so pharmacy/feed store or fish shop
fish shop products that have metronidazol listed as an ingredient include and are not limited to
general cure by aquarium
metrozol by aquatrol
paragon II by aquatronics

levamisol is available at farm store as a sheep or pig wormer , if you search the forum for levamisol you will find a lot of information about links and possible sales outlets

praziquantel is available as prazipro somewhere in america, again search function will give you an answer , prehaps jemhco?

mebendazol is closely related to fenbendazol and is available in fluke tabs, it may be effective against both protozoa and nematodes

andrew

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….