1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Strictly South American plants?

Discussion in 'The Planted Aquarium' started by chris1805, Aug 7, 2017.

1. dw1305

dw1305 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Hi all,
    I agree about the plants and plant/microbe filtration, all my tanks are planted fairly heavily. I'm not suggesting that "just a filter" is an alternative to plants, quite the opposite I want every aquarium to benefit from plants.

There is a much more complete discussion of this in <"PlanetCatfish:using deep gravel...">, and linked threads.
    You don't have "only plants" as the filter, the point is that in a planted tank, it is still always plant/microbe filtration, you can't have "plant filtration" on its own. I don't think in our cases that the presence, or absence, of a filter makes any difference to the total amount of microbial filtration.
    I agree with @gerald, it is pretty unequivocal that larger gas exchange surfaces produce higher levels of oxygenation at night.

cheers Darrel
  2. dw1305

dw1305 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

Hi all,
    It would be my floater of choice for larger tanks, for the reasons quoted, but I've never managed to get it through the winter. The only grow-lights I have of suitable intensity are in a glasshouse where it is only heated to "frost-free", and that isn't warm enough.

It is also now <"banned for sale in the EU"> (and several states of the USA), although it is never going to be invasive in Northern Europe.

cheers Darrel
  3. gerald

gerald Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

I use Eichhornia crassipes in my outdoor tubs. Just before frost I bring about 10 small ones inside for the winter, put them on my sunniest windowsill, and watch them shrink down to nearly nothing over the winter months before I can put them back outside again in spring. Then it takes a month or two before they really start growing significantly. I'm not sure if it's light intensity, photoperiod, or an innate seasonal clock that shuts down growth from about Oct to Apr. They're too tall for my indoor tanks, which I keep covered. I'm sure they'd work great as a spawning medium in uncovered tanks, if you can give them the light they need.