• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Steatocranus sp. "square head" spawn

Nebraska_cichlids

5 Year Member
Now that Heiko re-opened the old thread, I'll give a quick update on where I stand with my bleheri: I acquired another five (juvenile) bleheri through a Red Eye/bleheri trade with "Wingsrule." (Thanks, D., the fish are doing great.) Turned out that I also have at least one pair in my group of four adult bleheri. The two grew pretty attached to each other, and I'm optimistic that good news is right around the corner.

I isolated the pair of sp. Dwarf (?) several weeks ago and gave them their own tank. They are doing fine but are still way smaller than the bleheri received in the same shipment.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The sp. Squarehead is being ID's by everyone I trust to really know as S. bleheri. The fish that I got that I thought were S. sp. Dwarf are not, according to Anton L. But he does not knwo what they are. Compared to his sp. Dwarf my fish are larger and have more elongated dorsal and anal fins... but are still a LOT smaller than a S. casuarius (which they look like). My over 2-year-old male is just 3" long including his caudal. Anton suggests that what we get in as S. casuarius may actually be a species complex. Jeff had a S. casuarius for a while that we thought was gibbiceps. but it was not. But is was also very different than the classic S. casuarius (which the experts ID'd it as). Steatocranus are still very much a mystery.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timothygaw

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….