• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sores on mouth

Ttw

5 Year Member
One of my fish has developed ulcerating sores on her mouth. Although she is still eating she doesn't move her lips much. I started treating her with erythromycin. Any other ideas? I don't see signs of fungus.

gerald

5 Year Member
Sounds like that might be Mycobacterium infection, in which case there is no reliable treatment, but Kanamycin seems to slow it down in some cases. Sometimes Myco can go into "remission" for months or even a year or more, and the fish may still breed and produce healthy offspring, if you can keep her appetite up. Eventually it starts growing again and slowly kills them, IF that's what she's got. I've seen Laetacara and Kribensis live for 1-2 years after start of Myco symptoms, but Apistos and rams seem to succumb to Myco in a few weeks or months. If it's some other bacteria, you might try the Metronidazole and Naladixic acid combination that Mike recommended on another thread.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….