• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sign of spawning or problem..

drudnick

5 Year Member
I fed my cacatuoides thier first dinner of bloodworms since I have had them. and it seemed as though they all started getting fiesty. My gold female started getting into a scuffle with my ram, another female cacatuoides started getting territorial with another double red female. The male triple was chasing off a double female as well. But I noticed the male and 2 of the females after eating were rubbing against ceramic pots and driftwood. Now they have no visable or other signs of a problem, and one person told me they are marking territory. And not that I doubt him, but would like to hear what others have to say. As soon as they ate those worms, they all go rowdy.

fishgeek

flicking or rubbing against things is akin to itching
it is seen when water quality or external parasites cause irritation to the skin
fish do not scent mark as mammals do and do not rub to mark territory

aggression is always going to be intensified when there is something to squabble over

andrew

nightowl1350

5 Year Member
Could be problems unless they were rubbing breeding tubes on the pot. They tend to lay eggs in a cave if they can, not on the outside.

Protecting a territory is a good sign and many say bloodworms or other high protein foods will trigger a spawn. My triple red pair spawn every week (then eat the eggs) with a good diet.

Keep an eye out for gill flukes (if the rubbing keeps up) and make sure the blood worms were eaten. How big a tank is it and how many rams and apistos are in there? You may have a few fights brewing if the floor space is not big enough for them all to have seperate territories. Your rams will loose to the apisto as they are not as aggressive :(

drudnick

5 Year Member
I have a 26G with 1 male, 2 females, and 1 that seems to be debatale between a male and female, although Im still trying to figure out how...lol

And then 1 ram, I would like to get 1 more to pair it up. Surprisingly the ram became much more the aggressor after eating. With the females he isnt afraid, but he stands his ground initially with the male cacatuoides, but then when the triple moves towards him he backs down

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….