• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

sick or injured apisto

TK27

Hello everyone,

I'm a bit worried about my male apisto cacatouides. He is a gentle fish, doesnt harm anyone. his female companion is a bit more aggressive(only with fry tho). I have fry so she is still guarding them. Now my male apisto tried showing off to her, but she just attacked him a few times when he tried. He has done this before with when I had other fry, but nothing happened those times. This time it happened a few days ago, the days after that I only seen him under a big piece of wood, being a bit more quite then normal. It was hard to see him under there. Today I saw him somewhere else, I was able to take a good look, but I was kind of shocked when I found out he had a few wound-like things on his body. His scales looked bad, like standing up a bit. I was unable to take a picture, because he didnt stay still and went back to his hiding place. Is there anything I can do for him? did someone have a similar story or something? I have a smaller quarantine tank that I could use.. he does his dancing/showing off all the time to her (when the fry are getting bigger only tho), so im worried he might be sick or something.

I appreciate all help, thank you for reading.

Greetings,

TK27

MickeM

5 Year Member
Hi TK27 +all..

Can you add any pictures on the poor guy..??
If it is "only" effects of female aggression/biting, he may just need a rest (in another tank?) so he can heal and get some self-confidence back + grow to her size (if he is smaller than her..?)..
..and he may then have gotten fungus on his wounds/scars.. (white cotton-like growth).. This can be fixed..!
But if he is "bloated" from within.. in circle of 4-6 "scales" or more (all infected/surrounding scales pointing away from the body) he may have gotten an illnes/internal bacterias.. and then he will probably not survive I`m afraid... even if medicated..

From what you say, I guess it`s only some healing that is needed.. away from the good + highly motivated mother!! :)
..and after all.., he is still dancing for her..!! .. so his energy is still there/"normal"..

In these situations our tanks are often too small if compared with a natural creek/pool.., (Where a dominant male may swim away from female/s and take care of his own buisness.. guarding/protecting his wider/great territory..and stay occupied with chasing predators away!! )
In your/this situation..an excess of hiding places/line-of-sight-barriers+ plants may help him to find some "calm spots" in the tank !!?? .. or use/fix a plastic tube just beneath the surface ..for him to rest in..( I use some common/old camera-film canisters floating free for that purpose !!)

/Micke

Last edited:

MickeM

5 Year Member
.. I use the canisters for my killie-fishes + Betta-species when breeding, but if these are too small for your male you should probably try some other kind of tube..!!
Search the web and you will find/see many different options..!!

TK27

Hello MickeM,

Thank you for your reply! I took him out and moved him to a smaller tank, he is alone and recovering. He had some fungal infection, and a minor case of dropsy. My LFS guy came to my house to take a look and helped me to diagnose him. He is looking a lot better right now. I think he is going to be just fine. I will keep him alone for another week and then place him back. ooh and he seems to have a little scar, where he had the fungal infection.
About the size, he has a normal size for a cacatouides male. The female is rather small. When I picked her, she was the smallest of the bunch, but she had the most color.
I have another male, he is a real monster, in size and behaviour. I made a topic on this forum about that aswel. This guy killed a bunch of fish (including his females) in his first tank. I took it from someone thinking it was just the tank size and number of fish, but he was just a bully. He had more space and less fish in my tank, so it was already going better, but he was still chasing everyone in sight. Learned here about creating those spaces. I managed to "tame" the big guy by redoing his tank. Did this in both tanks.
Also, My water lvls happened to be a bit off at that time. nothing really big, but it could have been a factor for him getting sick this time. maybe a bad timing. I have always had great water, so I didnt expect it. I wasnt late for my water changes. yeah things dont always go right, hopefully I never have to see this again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….