• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Should Male Apisto Cac be removed

Kristina Meade

I think my pair have spawned, my female is a different colour and her markings are different, she is not bright yellow but very pale yellow. She spends all her time in her cave and is only coming out to grab a mouthful of food at feeding time and occasionally for a very few seconds. The male is not paying any attention to her or the cave. They are the only residents other than a single small oto. Do I need to remove the male? If so when? If the spawn hatches do the fry have to be removed? If so when? The tank is a 20G well planted. Thanks for the help, I am a newby when it comes to egg layers as I have always kept live bearers before.

gerald

5 Year Member
If they're getting along OK together, you can leave the male in. Once the fry become free-swimming (about a week after egg-laying) watch out; some pairs fight, and others coexist just fine. That's strange that the female turned pale -- usually they stay bright yellow while guarding eggs and fry.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….