• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Seperate Jeuvenile Apisto Eliza?

MikeNYC

5 Year Member
Hi,

I just got 2 pair of Eliza last night. The males are about 1.2 inches long, with one female about 3/4 of an inch with good color. The other female is tiny with little color, maybe 1/2 inch. She seems to be trying to swim away from everyone in the tank, which includes: 3 medium size blue emporer tetra, 6 larger coffee bean tetra and 6 cardinals. All in my 40 gallon breeder.

I am considering sectioning off a small piece of the tank with a divider for the tiny Apisto, to let her grow out a bit. Is this necessary? Will she be bullied to death by the larger fish in the tank? Those tetras can be pushy.

Any insights appreciated. Thanks.

Marc

5 Year Member
Hi Mike,

IMHO there is no need for some action. If Your tank is well planted or if there are enough hiding places like wood, caves et cetera, she will grow up. Maybe it takes even a little more time. IMO, the greatest problem for her is possibly get some food, cause the tetras are really fast. In some cases they are not the best companion for apistogramma (but i've made the best expieriences with small tetras as dithers, even with very shy apisto species). The important thing is, that she must be healthy, then no tetra should be able to harm her in any way.

Greetings
Marc

MikeNYC

5 Year Member
Dave,

Could you please elaborate a little bit on why tetras may pose a risk to Elizabethae? They are quite a special little fish, I know.

I am considering only keeping cardinals and beckford's with the Eliza, but the wild caught "coffee bean" tetras I purchased are unique, so I wanted to see them all together in the tank for a while.

I already took out the Blue Emporers from the Eliza tank.

The small female Eliza is holding her own, so I am less concerned about her welfare.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….