• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Scratch, scratch, scratch.

ancientaquarist

5 Year Member
Hi All-
All the fish in my 29 which has much dead vegetation are itchy and scratch themselves on the plants and other places. No visible parasites.
Apparently perfect health.

Should I do a major water change? How can I make them more comfortable? I hate to be itchy myself.

What is usually the cause of this behavior?

TIA for your wisdom.

fishgeek

flashing or flicking can be seen for 2 primary reasons
poor water quality in which case you water change should help
and external parasitism , not always evident

andrew

Randall

5 Year Member
Flashing

Hello Michael,

Me thinks Andrew offers good advise. I'd perform a major water change (50%) and watch closely. If the "flashing" continues, you may have an external protozoa on your hands. Formalin (formaldehyde) should take care of it.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

aspen

5 Year Member
if you are using anything but water and de-chlor and maybe some peat, i would get rid of it with a few large water changes- ie, ph down etc. go through all of the water related things first.

rick

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….