• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

"Scientific Name" and "Commom Name"

PinkParrot

5 Year Member
As per title, does anyone know where I can find a list of dwarf cichlid scientific names and common names? I see a lot of posts with scientific names but I have no idea what they mean (for now...:wink: ). The list including the common name would help me a lot. Thank you.

PP

STOKER

5 Year Member
As per title, does anyone know where I can find a list of dwarf cichlid scientific names and common names? I see a lot of posts with scientific names but I have no idea what they mean (for now...:wink: ). The list including the common name would help me a lot. Thank you.

PP

The trouble with the use of common names is that they may be a different common name in different countries , so the scientiic (LATIN) name will be the same fish in any part of the world. An example is the steel blue killie in the States but it`s A Gardeneri in the UK , no common name , but it`s the same fish.

Mike :)

Rolo

5 Year Member

PP

Hi,

there are many dwarf cichlids that don't have a "useful" common name. They are normally only called by their scientific name. So, you better learn the scientific names, if you want to be understood. ...it's not that hard, as you think! ;-)

But of course, not every dwarf cichlid have a scientific name. There are about twice as much undescribed Apistogramma species than described ones (which get an scientific name then)

Another problem is, that the common names are inconsistent. So, IF a fish have a scientific name, then USE it.
There are only a few "standard" species, where the common name is really well known. I mean, if you talk about a Cockatoo dwarf or a Villavicencio Dwarf, you will not have any problem, but I guess many people here can't tell you much about the "Two-Spot" Dwarf, but can do this for A. hippolytae... even if it is the same. ;-)

A list of common and scientic names you can find at www.apistogramma.net... but it is in german.

best regards,
Rolo

peterK

5 Year Member
Hi Rolo,
I didn't know that there are so many undescribed species! I took a look at your website earlier, but maybe not precisely...:biggrin:
BTW, I prefer to use scientific names for dwarfs, because it is very embarassing to me to remember all common names in English, German and Polish (but in Polish only a few described species have common names :) )

Greetings,
Piotr

Hi,

there are many dwarf cichlids that don't have a "useful" common name. They are normally only called by their scientific name. So, you better learn the scientific names, if you want to be understood. ...it's not that hard, as you think! ;-)

But of course, not every dwarf cichlid have a scientific name. There are about twice as much undescribed Apistogramma species than described ones (which get an scientific name then)

Another problem is, that the common names are inconsistent. So, IF a fish have a scientific name, then USE it.
There are only a few "standard" species, where the common name is really well known. I mean, if you talk about a Cockatoo dwarf or a Villavicencio Dwarf, you will not have any problem, but I guess many people here can't tell you much about the "Two-Spot" Dwarf, but can do this for A. hippolytae... even if it is the same. ;-)

A list of common and scientic names you can find at www.apistogramma.net... but it is in german.

best regards,
Rolo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jhays79

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….