• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

sandfleas from the beach as livefood

martink

i walk home from the beach and these guys are abundant. ive fed a few testers and my ivanacara like them but I thought id post incase someone could think of a reason why not.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 69

MacZ

After making sure you are talking about sandhoppers (Talitrus saltator) and not parasitic sand fleas (Tunga penetrans)... technically yes. Question is whether you can find and catch them in sufficient numbers.
I'd be generally cautious with stuff from the sea, you don't know how much pollutants they are contaminated with.

martink

After making sure you are talking about sandhoppers (Talitrus saltator) and not parasitic sand fleas (Tunga penetrans)... technically yes. Question is whether you can find and catch them in sufficient numbers.
I'd be generally cautious with stuff from the sea, you don't know how much pollutants they are contaminated with.
i dont need that many its just a bi weekly treat to bolster the earthworms and bbs

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
After making sure you are talking about sandhoppers (Talitrus saltator)
Yes, "Sand hopper" <"https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/210201-Talitrus-saltator">, an Amphipod crustacean. Smaller cichlids really like Crangonyx pseudogracilis (another Amphipod) so I'm guessing that these would be equally palatable.

Crustaceans are generally good food for cichlids, because they are chitin rich, don't contain too much fat etc.

I might give them a rinse, just to stop any salt (NaCl) build up.

cheers Darrel

martink

Hi all,

Yes, "Sand hopper" <"https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/210201-Talitrus-saltator">, an Amphipod crustacean. Smaller cichlids really like Crangonyx pseudogracilis (another Amphipod) so I'm guessing that these would be equally palatable.

Crustaceans are generally good food for cichlids, because they are chitin rich, don't contain too much fat etc.

I might give them a rinse, just to stop any salt (NaCl) build up.

cheers Darrel
yeah am doing that, worse is the shell debri but they get a little quarantine. thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….