• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Red hongsloi

Jeremy Anderson

I seem to have an affinity for hongsloi, I don't know why, I just like them. I see a few for sale, but not many. The ones I have seen so far are showing bright pink and yellow colors, but I prefer the ones with brick red, ones that lean closer to wild-type, I have seen. I would love to find a source for red hongsloi. I really like the macmasteri complex altogether, again, no reason I am conscious of.

Henry_Tan

If you are keen on a full red one. Try look for Apistogramma hongsloi form III. Take note this is more likely to be a captive bred variant.

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

Jeremy Anderson

I like the wild-type amount of red, oh heck, I don't know what I like. Now I'm looking for honest-to-goodness A. viejita, which may be a fool's errand. There are a lot of nice new Apistos on the Wet Spot pricelist, particularly for anyone near the west coast of the US.

Henry_Tan

I like the wild-type amount of red, oh heck, I don't know what I like. Now I'm looking for honest-to-goodness A. viejita, which may be a fool's errand. There are a lot of nice new Apistos on the Wet Spot pricelist, particularly for anyone near the west coast of the US.
There are not much real viejita being sold. Usually you get will be macmasteri. Unless you can be certain it is the real viejita.

Sent from my X9009 using Tapatalk

JosVermeulen

If you're looking at the A. viejita from Wet Spot, that's "Trade viejita", so basically just a commercial form of A. macmasteri.

Jeremy Anderson

If you're looking at the A. viejita from Wet Spot, that's "Trade viejita", so basically just a commercial form of A. macmasteri.
I get that, I meant trying to find some actual viejita. I like those redneck macmasteri too, but, shoot, I like them all. Thank you for keeping me straight on it, nonetheless.

I ended up starting with 4 captive bred agassizi "fire red" - I will probably only do wild form Apistos in the future, but I wanted to start with something relatively easy.

The Wet Spot pricelist has alpahuayo, atahualpa, baenschi, and ortegai right now - that's what I meant; Chasing some real viejita down might be a wasted effort, when I could just order some awesome stuff right off the list.

Jeremy Anderson

That's how I understand it as well. I saw some for sale on "awkward bid" a week or two ago, I don't remember now if they were international or not. Likely to be macmasteri if not, I know. Thanks for your replies, everyone.

Jeremy Anderson

ApistoDave on Aquabid has A. viejita and hongsloi for sale. His site seems like it is associated with Dr. Römer, I am not hip to the scene yet, but oh my, @apistodave exists here too. He seems legitimate, so are those real viejita? (debates on the value of the concept of 'species' notwithstanding, haha)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….