• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ram tank mate?

Phile

I recently sent up a pair of M. ramirezi in a new planted tank set up. They are doing fine but are still at the boyfriend/girlfriend stage. I'm dosing the tank with Seachem Flourish Exel and the plants are starting to grow. I'm feeding the fish with frozen brine shrimp, occasional flake, and occasionally live mosquito larvae treats. The Rams are messy eaters and leave scrap on the bottom. Do I dare add some pigmy Corey's or maybe some ghost shrimp to help with the housekeeping? Or an oto?

Phile

Fred and Wilma.
image.jpeg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sorry, need more information about tank and your thoughts, if any, of breeding your Rams. I will say one thing. The substrate is much too coarse. Rams are a geophagine and sift the bottom for food. They can't do it with such coarse-grained gravel.

Phile

I recently sent up a pair of M. ramirezi in a new planted tank set up. They are doing fine but are still at the boyfriend/girlfriend stage. I'm dosing the tank with Seachem Flourish Exel and the plants are starting to grow. I'm feeding the fish with frozen brine shrimp, occasional flake, and occasionally live mosquito larvae treats. The Rams are messy eaters and leave scrap on the bottom. Do I dare add some pigmy Corey's or maybe some ghost shrimp to help with the housekeeping? Or an oto?
I don't think that's a problem. I have a section in the tank center that I was planning to place fine sand in, while keeping the coarser stuff along the sides.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Do I dare add some pigmy Corey's or maybe some ghost shrimp to help with the housekeeping? Or an oto?
Pygmy Cories (Corydoras pygmaeus) are fine with Rams and so are Otocinclus. They are both quite sensitive fish.

Rams eat Red cherry Shrimps, and I don't think that suitable water conditions for Ghost Shrimps are suitable for Rams.
The substrate is much too coarse. Rams are a geophagine and sift the bottom for food. They can't do it with such coarse-grained gravel.
I agree with Mike, I also think you will have problems with organic debris falling between the gravel, even with a "cleaning crew". I'm not a fan of gravel vacuuming either in planted tanks.

Sand is just much better for planted Apisto tanks for both plants and fish.

cheers Darrel

Phile

Hi all, Pygmy Cories (Corydoras pygmaeus) are fine with Rams and so are Otocinclus. They are both quite sensitive fish.

Rams eat Red cherry Shrimps, and I don't think that suitable water conditions for Ghost Shrimps are suitable for Rams. I agree with Mike, I also think you will have problems with organic debris falling between the gravel, even with a "cleaning crew". I'm not a fan of gravel vacuuming either in planted tanks.

Sand is just much better for planted Apisto tanks for both plants and fish.

cheers Darrel
Thanks for the info. Right now they're eating live mossies. Nice to have food that swims into the water column.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….