• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

[QUESTION] Water Parameters

DrunkenAlcoholic

Hello peoples,
I am just getting into keeping dwarf cichlids and would like to know if the following parameters are suitable for breeding conditions. I have ordered TDS meter from ebay so TDS ppm wont be included until I get the meter

My Tap Water:
7.2 - 7.6 Ph
3 GH
3 KH

In aquarium with driftwood:
6.4 - 6.8 Ph
3 GH
2 KH

Species wanting to keep:
Quad red Cacatuoides
Orange Flash Cacatuoides
Agassizi Fire Gold
Apistogramma Sp.Tefe

Currently have a rack with 4 x 2ft and 1 x 4ft tanks, also have another 6ft and 4ft but I prefer to keep these apistorgramma's in the rack, the current fish that's there now is

Aquariums on the rack:
#1 4Ft L x 1.5ft W x 1ft H(178 liters)
Albino Corydora x 4, neon tetra x 7, Harlequin rasbora x 4

#2 2ft L x 1.5ft W x 1ft H(89 Liters)
L397 x 10

#3 2ft L x 1.5ft W x 1ft H(89 Liters)
L007 x 10

#4 2ft L x 1.5ft W x 1ft H(89 Liters)
Royal Whiptails x 6

#5 2ft L x 1.5ft W x 1ft H(89 Liters)
Growout tank, currently Red terror Festae's and Albino bristlenose.

So based on my water parameters and what I would like to keep and what tanks I have with current fish in them, can you point me in the right direction so I get a good start, All the rack tanks utilize 1 or more hamburg mattern filter with power heads, I have doubled the recommended surface area for the mattern filters to insure I am over filtering.

o5caz9.jpg

2ufvbfc.jpg

Last edited:

gerald

5 Year Member
Yes pH 6.0 to 6.8 and GH and KH around 2 - 3 degrees should be fine for most species of Apistos, except for certain "serious blackwater" species. A. cacatuoides and agassizi should do fine; I don't know about A. sp. "Tefe".

DrunkenAlcoholic

Thanks Gerald and Mike, I feel more confident getting the "all ok" on water parameters from experts like your self's. I am glad that the Tefe will be fine in that water, I will maybe invest in a RO unit next year for breeding after I have played around with the cacatuoides and agassizi's.

Also just out of interest, based on what I currently have in those 5 tanks and sizes of them, do you think the apisto's will be okay in those tanks? im guessing the L007 tank is out of the question as they have been know to eat fish, also still have a awhile for the festae fry to grow out so that tank is out also. I guess what left is the 4ft with neo tetras and rasbora's, I am thinking 2 pairs in this tank, and then a single pair in with the whiptails and a single pair in with the L397's

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
None of the tanks in the photos are ideal. They are just too open and don't have visual territorial boundaries. Properly decorated any of the tanks is large enough for breeding tanks. None of the tankmates are ideal either. Neons are efficient fry predators and loricarids often bother females and sometimes enter caves at night and eat eggs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….