• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about African Butterflys

drudnick

5 Year Member
I bought an African Butterfly today for top of tank with Apistos and Rams. I also have some white cloud minnows and a single guppy (kenny) who happens to be alittle trooper from the cycling stage that the wife really likes.

The Butterfly was labeled as nonagrressive, however, I didnt know anything about them and hear they like to eat anything they can fit in mouth. So now the wife wants me to return so Kenny doesnt get eaten. Is this true, that they will pick off guppies and minoows for lunch?

Apistogramm-Sam

5 Year Member
I've had several African Butterflies over the years, and I have never seen them snap at small fish in my tanks. Their mouth is dorsally oriented, and they spend most of their time at the surface, so I suspect that in nature they would prey upon insects or other small critters that would fall into the water, not fish. I usually got good results with them by feeding blackworms, freeze dried krill/plankton, fruit flies, and frozen Daphnia. Very peaceful, timid fish that likes surface cover in my experience.

Sam

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, they will eat small fish if the opportunity arises. Like most fish, if they can fit it in their mouth they'll put it there! They are also a jumper, so be sure to have the tank well covered. Apistogramm-Sam is right, African Butterfly fish are a surface oriented eater. I've always fed them a steady diet of crickets or other bugs that would stay at/on the surface of the water.

Jeff

drudnick

5 Year Member
Yeah, I am goin to get some crickets, but didnt know thats what they ate when I bought him. The lights are out and he seems to be stalking the white cloud minnows sleeping at the top of tank.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….