• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

prospective 10 gallon setup

Rprafferty

hi, I'm new to the forum but not the hobby...just getting back into it. Anyways, wanted to run my tank parameters by anyone who might want to critique. btw, all critique's appreciated:
The plan is to do a 10 gallon planted tank with a pair of cacatuiodes and 5-6 tetras (not sure what kind)
-lighting is a Catalina Aquarium prefab 24" T5 HO strip (24 watts)
-a substrate consisting of 10 0z laterite/pool sand topped off with a couple inches of pool sand
-whisper 20 power filter

I have a few questions. Could I do more than a pair of cichlids? like to two females and a male
I'd like to do a central area of substrate covering plants (chain swords) and an outer "rim" of val's or swords....not sure on plant species
I'd like to stay away from filter media, for the sake of simplicity, but is carbon a good idea?
lastly, I really like the look of sand, but it seems like 3 mm size gravel is far more accepted, should I reconsider?
thanks!

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like an interesting setup. I think the pool filter sand will work real nice; it's nice and light and doesn't compact. Your apistos will pick at the sand, sifting, and spit it out, so be prepared with that with your chain swords (I like using dwarf sag because it roots deep - BUT - the dwarf sag and vallesneria will possibly kill each other).

No, I would not do a second pair or additional cichlids in a tank this size.

I don't think the carbon would be worth the hassle after the tank is established; because it's filtering out some of the same components in the water that the plants will need (although, I doubt it would filter out everything the plants would need).

I would find some way to provide several caves hidden / tucked behind some of your plants, facing different directions, to give the apistos places to hide.

Tetras will be a good choice; make sure you understand that they will eat any fry you would get from the apistos.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Personally, I don't even recommend a pair (1 male; 1 female) in small tanks - unless you have another tank where 1 of the pair can be moved when aggression occurs. 2 males of different species might be better, more showy and with less trauma. As Brian says, carbon isn't a good idea. Not only will it strip some nutrients that your plants use, but is an expensive filter media. Even the best activated carbon will be exhausted in a few days and it can't be regenerated at home, either.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….