• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

possible fungus on A. cacatuoides

tjnelson44

5 Year Member
Hello, I am new to the forum but have been reading it for a while. I really enjoy it and have found a lot of usefull information. I was hoping that I could get some advice on what i think is a fungus. My A. cacatuoides have a small amount of white stuff on about the last millimeter on some of the rays of their dorsal fins. This has me very worried since I recently dealt with something that looked identical on some bettas. It would always attack the very narrow parts of the fins such as the tips of the ventrals. I could get rid of it for a few weeks with a medication containing formalin and malachite green but then it would come back until I finally gave the fish away. I tried methylene blue, but it did not seem to work. It was also very contagious. I do not want to go through that again. After I got rid of the bettas and before I got the cacatuoides, I sterilized all my fish stuff with bleach but i must have missed something. It seems to move very slow. It starts out very small and gradually grows. Right now I am treating my apistos with a medication containing formalin and malachite green. It seems to be working but I am worried that once again I will only get rid of it temporarily. Has any body dealt with something like this before or have any advice?
Thank you very much,
Trevor

fishgeek

If it is truly fungal then it is likely an oppurtunistic invader rather than a primary pathogen, look closely at your water quality and general husbandry

Flavobacterium/flexibacterium is also a fungal looking problem though bacterial in origin

Please post your water parameters so we can aid you more

Andrew

tjnelson44

5 Year Member
Thanks for responding, I appreciate it. One of the males came out of a heavily planted tank with a ph of 7.4, gh of 5, and kh of 3. The other male came out of a tank with a ph of 6.8, gh of 2, and and a kh of 1. Niether tank had any detectable ammonia or nitrite. They were both eating fry in thier tanks so I moved them to a 10 gallon with tap water. The tap water has a ph of 8.0, a gh of 14, and a kh of 10. This tank was new and uncycled so I started off by doing 2 weekly 25% water changes. I don't have any ammonia or nitrite info on this tank. After about a week in the tank was when I noticed the fuzz. Since then I have increased the water changes. I hope this was the info you needed.
Thanks,
Trevor

Randall

5 Year Member
Fungal Infection

Dear tjnelson44,

Me thinks Andrew is right on the money; fungus is usually a secondary infection. Is it possible that your fish could have sustained a mechanical injury of some kind? When a fish's skin is broken, fungus has a way of setting in.

Formalin and Malachite Green are used for external protazoa (parasites) and won't do much against a fungal and/or bacterial infection. An anti bacterial dip or an antibiotic would be much more effective. Your LFR should be able to recommend one. In the interim, your frequent partial water changes can only help.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

fishgeek

try to replicate the orginal tank water
why is the new tank so much harder?

i would image that if you can get the water better you are likely to sort the problem out
is it possible to take some filter media from the first tank and mix it with the new tank in an attempt to hasten the cycle

try getting nitrogen readings for the new tank as dwarf's seem particularly sensitive to any nitrogenous wastes'

andrew
if your in the uk i use esha products , you could try 2000 as a broad spec treatment

tjnelson44

5 Year Member
The water in new tank is so much harder because I didn't dillute it with distilled since it was just a holding tank and not a breeding tank. I guess that trying to save a few bucks was not a good idea. Do you think that the change in conditions could have thrown their immune system out of wack and let this illness take hold? I plan to get the parameters close to those of the original tanks and put in a seasoned sponge filter out of one of my breeding tanks. Also, I am about to go to the lfs to see about a broad spectrum treatment. Currently there isn't any ammonia or nitrite in the tank. I just wish I would have tested when they first became ill. Thanks a lot for helping out a new guy.
Trevor

Randall

5 Year Member
tjnelson44 said:
I am about to go to the lfs to see about a broad spectrum treatment.

Dear Trevor,

I don't think a broad spectum treatment is what you need here. They usually contain a combination of both antibacterial and antiparasitic medications, some of which may shut down the biological filter. This could unduely stress already stressed and weakened fish. Also, from the symptoms you describe, it does not sound like your fish are suffering from a parasitic condition. For that reason, it's best to stick with an antibiotic, like Neomycin Sulfate, or the equivilent.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

tjnelson44

5 Year Member
I thought I would give an update on the cacatuiodes with the white fuzz. I tried tetracycline and it didn't work. I finally tried a dip in a strong solution of formalin and malachite green (quick cure) and it cleared it up after a few dips. Its been a while and it has not came back. I have read that malachite green can be used to treat a true fungus. I am guessing it was a fungus and not bacteria. Any thoughts on this?
Trevor

fishgeek

sounds like it was probably fungal
although my uderstanding is that tetracycline, being active against primarily gram positive's is not that effective in aquatic probs, so respnonse to treatment may be more to do with poor effectiveness of intial treatment

i personally think the water was the issue and the contaminats just secondary

andrew

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….