• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

pics P.Pulcher pair and fry and super red fry?

samuel

Hey guys here is my pair of p.pulchers they are on their 5th or so viable spawn. the adult pair is probably about a year or so old now. Male is a tad bit over 4 and the female is about 3in. The largest male from the first spawn i was able to keep fry from is showing super red genetics. Is this normal? But oherwise the other fry large enough, 2 of them, do not show this. But here are some pics sorry about the tank, 10-15+ yr old metaframe tank handed down to me, housed all sorts of stuff, fish, reptiles, who knows. plus the pics were taken on an HTC thunderbolt smartphone

2012-07-12161841.jpg

2012-07-12161824.jpg

2012-07-12161809.jpg

2012-07-12161346.jpg

2012-07-12161341.jpg

fry plus the super red male, he also has a deformed front lip, not sure if this is genetic or because he was pulled out of my rena xp3.
2012-07-12161420.jpg

2012-07-12161408.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Domestic strains of Pv. pulcher are a mix of so many different population over so many decades, that I'm not surprised at variations in color in spawns. Don't expect any color form to produce the same color of offspring unless you have specimens from one location in Africa.

samuel

soo if i selectively bred the super red male over 2-3 generations it still would be majority mixxed fry?
Anyone have pictures of wild caught fish from different locations? Im still confused as to if this super red is 100% tank made or if the ones in the aquarium trade are just tank strains but there are wild occuring ones? Anyways thanks for the help

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….